by Jan Bast Burch; Hobart A Burch Print book
The stories are true, the names have been changed.....   (2009-06-04)
This is just the tip of the iceberg in Key West and the Keys. I wish they'd do a followup! I know some of the victims depicted in this book and know the facts are well presented. There are a few tales from that time period that I could share as well, and since then, well....it gets worse and worse, right up to the current mess with:
(1) the school superintendent and his wife involved in theft of what is now approaching a half million dollars in Federal, state and taxpayer funds for the mentally challenged, ESL and adult ed students, 9th graders, preschoolers and more. Federal funds were even used to fund the superintendent's own political campaign! They were (and may be back) in foreclosure, even before discovery of the theft and the subsequent coverup. She's been arrested. He will be for the Fed Funds / Political campaign and the charges are piling up. They lived high and well til it was all discovered.
(2) Mayor of Key West has two foreclosures going on now. He had to have been funded by developers because of his pro-development stance, but when the economy went bust, the developer-buddies went bust. Now this man with 4 kids, who is a realtor who's never sold a home, and who is a 'preacher' without a church, who makes $10,000 per year as mayor and with a wife in the school system, has his home and another property in foreclosure. And this guy spends taxpayer money as if he's Diamond Jim.
(3) Tax collector is in foreclosure as well. She and her coach husband borrowed way too much and now can't pay. I mean, these are people who handle TAXPAYER monies and can't handle their own.
(4) City Commissioner is resigning early to 'move to North Carolina', and has house in foreclosure. Another one who can't handle their own money but have been spending taxpayer money.
(5) Candidate (who did not win) for County Commission - two foreclosures going on now as well.
(6) This is not new news but it's escalating: Tour operator (the only one in town at the moment) stays 4 - 6 months behind on his rent and franchise fees to the city, but the city never holds him accountable. He's now way delinquent on his rent on public lands, that he built condos on because he says, he can't sell the condos right now. I mean, why is the city and county funding this man's personal business?
And clearly there's more. Jan and Hobie Burch? Come back and write some more!
Was this review helpful to you?