|提及的人：||Robert Purvis; Robert Purvis|
|資料類型：||傳記, 政府刊物, 州政府或者省政府刊物, 網際網路資源|
Margaret Hope Bacon
|描述：||xi, 279 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||Of southern birth --
The city of brotherly love --
Present at the beginning --
World traveler --
"We are not intruders here" --
To aid the fleeing slave --
A time of loss --
Gentleman farmer --
"This wicked law" --
"Are we not men?" --
"A proud day for the colored man" --
"Equality of rights for all" --
The Freedman's savings bank --
"We are to the manner born" --
"His magnificent record."
|責任：||Margaret Hope Bacon.|
"Born in South Carolina to a wealthy white father and mixed race mother, Robert Purvis (1810-1898) was one of the nineteenth century's leading black abolitionists and orators. In this first biography of Purvis, Margaret Hope Bacon uses his eloquent and often fierce speeches to provide a glimpse into the life of a passionate and distinguished man, intimately involved with a wide range of major reform movements, including abolition, civil rights, Underground Railroad activism, women's rights, Irish Home Rule, Native American rights, and prison reform. Citing his role in developing the Philadelphia Vigilant Committee, an all black organization that helped escaped slaves secure passage to the North, the New York Times described Purvis at the time of his death as the president of the Underground Railroad. Voicing his opposition to a decision by the state of Pennsylvania to disenfranchise black voters in 1838, Purvis declared "there is but one race, the human race." But One Race is the dramatic story of one of the most important figures of his time."--BOOK JACKET.
- Purvis, Robert, -- 1810-1898.
- African American abolitionists -- Biography.
- Abolitionists -- United States -- Biography.
- African American civil rights workers -- Biography.
- African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Biography.
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Biography.
- Antislavery movements -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- 19th century.
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Race relations -- History -- 19th century.
- Purvis, Robert.