Luis Alberto Urrea; John Lueders-Booth
|描述：||xvii, 187 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.|
|内容：||Introductory matters: Home of the brave. --
A lake of sleeping children. --
Dompe days. --
The pink penitentiary. --
Words in collision. --
Borderland blues: six impressions. --
In the wet. --
The bald monkey and other atrocities. --
The stupidity of evil: adventures in the woman trade. --
A day in the life.
|责任：||Luis Alberto Urrea ; photographs by John Lueders-Booth.|
Luis Alberto Urrea's first book, Across the Wire: Life and Hard Times on the Mexican Border, was a haunting and unprecedented look at what life is like for those living on the Mexican side of the border, eking out only the barest of lives not far from the white sands and coral reefs of Southern California. His poignant, widely acclaimed account of the struggle of these people to survive amid the abject poverty, unsanitary living conditions, and legal and political chaos that reign in the Mexican borderlands vividly illustrated why so many are forced to make the treacherous and illegal journey "across the wire" into the United States. Written with the same unflagging curiosity, compassion, mordant wit, and novelistic sense of detail that made Across the Wire "a work of investigative reporting that is also a bittersweet song of human anguish" (Los Angeles Times), By the Lake of Sleeping Children explores the post-NAFTA and Proposition 187 border purgatory of garbage pickers and dump dwellers, gawking tourists and relief workers, fearsome coyotes and their desperate clientele. In sixteen indelible portraits, Urrea illuminates the horrors and the simple joys of people trapped between the two worlds of Mexico and the United States - and ignored by both. The result is a startling and memorable work of first-person reportage.
- Tijuana (Baja California, Mexico) -- Social conditions.
- Mexican-American Border Region -- Social conditions.
- Ragpickers -- Mexico -- Tijuana (Baja California)
- Mexican-American Border Region -- Social conditions
- Tijuana (Baja California, Mexico) -- Social conditions
- Social history.
- Mexico -- Tijuana (Baja California)
- North America -- Mexican-American Border Region.
- Latin@ Heritage Month 2013(18 资料)
由 UMDDiversity 已更新 2013-10-11
- Fields Library 2(500 资料)
由 mmonge 已更新 2013-06-26
- Demographics, Society, and Culture - Chicana/o Studies(27 资料)
由 librarianjennie 已更新 2013-06-05
- Borderlands / Fronteras(11 资料)
由 mybarra 已更新 2012-08-29
- Chicano/Chicana Studies List 2(495 资料)
由 librarianjennie 已更新 2011-11-10