Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Drawings (visual works)
|Named Person:||Robert Barr; Edward N Beecher; Edith Cavell; George Cruikshank; Leslie Curnow; Doyle family.; Arthur Conan Doyle; Arthur Conan Doyle; Charles Altamont Doyle; Lena Jean Annette Conan Doyle; Francis R Fast; Arthur Ford; Harry Houdini; C Frederick Kittle; Sidney Paget; William Park; Oscar Slater; Mark Sullivan|
|Material Type:||Manuscript, Original artwork, Picture|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Book, Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
C Frederick Kittle; Jean Leckie Doyle; John Doyle; William Gillette; Bernard Shaw; Mary Louise Conan Doyle; Charles Altamont Doyle; Richard Doyle; Horace Vernet; Eugène François Vidocq; Sidney Paget; C. Frederick Kittle Collection of Doyleana (Newberry Library). Core Materials.; Newberry Library.
|Notes:||Use the link to the finding aid for a fuller description of collection contents that explains the use of the name and subject terms appearing in this catalog record.|
|Description:||4 linear feet (4 boxes and 2 oversize folders)|
There are 140 letters, notes and cards written by Arthur Conan Doyle (including a few written by secretary and signed by him), and six letters to him, including 3 from Leslie Curnow, writer for Light, a journal of psychic research. There are 56 miscellaneous letters, some written by Doyle family members, others associated with Doyle, and the rest are those retained by Dr. Kittle relating to his collecting of Doyle materials. The group of photographs consists of portraits and snapshots of Doyle, plus several associated with his various interests and activities, and a portrait of actor William Gillette. The art includes work of his grandfather John, his father Charles and his uncle Richard, 3 illustrations for published stories, and a pencil drawing by Horace Vernet. Miscellany includes some notes for a lecture, a few pieces of ephemera, obituaries and memorial for Doyle's daughter Jean, who died in 1997, and photocopies of correspondence held by the British Museum.
- Barr, Robert, -- 1850-1912 -- Correspondence.
- Beecher, Edward N. -- Correspondence.
- Cavell, Edith, -- 1865-1915 -- Correspondence.
- Cruikshank, George, -- 1792-1878 -- Correspondence.
- Curnow, Leslie -- Correspondence.
- Doyle family.
- Doyle, Arthur Conan, -- 1859-1930 -- Correspondence.
- Doyle, Arthur Conan, -- 1859-1930 -- Portraits.
- Doyle, Charles Altamont -- Correspondence.
- Doyle, Lena Jean Annette Conan -- Correspondence.
- Fast, Francis R. -- Correspondence.
- Ford, Arthur -- Correspondence.
- Houdini, Harry, -- 1874-1926.
- Kittle, C. Frederick -- Correspondence.
- Paget, Sidney, -- 1861-1908 -- Correspondence.
- Park, William -- Correspondence.
- Slater, Oscar, -- 1872-1948 -- Correspondence.
- Sullivan, Mark, -- 1874-1952 -- Correspondence.
- Liberal Unionist Party (Great Britain)
- Society for Psychical Research (Great Britain)
- McClure's magazine.
- Strand magazine (London, England)
- Artists -- Great Britain.
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Correspondence.
- Authors, English -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
- Illustrators -- Great Britain.
- Mediums -- Great Britain.
- A.W. Wall Ltd. -- History -- 20th century -- Sources.
- South African War, 1899-1902.
- Spiritualism -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century -- Sources.
- Spiritualism -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Sources.
- World War, 1914-1918.
- Great Britain -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Manuscripts, English.
- Manuscripts, American -- Illinois -- Chicago.