Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||0521260221 9780521260220 0600331733 9780600331735 052125647X 9780521256476|
|Description:||xi, 992 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 26 cm|
|Contents:||The purpose of this book is to provide a guide to the literature of the English-speaking world in a single volume. It covers more than a thousand years and includes the literature of Great Britain, the United States, Australia, Canada and New Zealand; the English writing from Ireland and South Africa, and the new and exciting contributions from the West Indies and Nigeria since the Second World War. This book offers the reader more than facts. However, facts are essential: the entries begin with these and all-important dates will also be found. The lives of many writers are intrinsically interesting as well as significant to their work, and in cases where the details are known they are given at some length. Major works of poetry, fiction, drama, satire, history, philosophy and religion are described; so are the outstanding characters created by our major writers. A host of subjects and terms merit entries of their own --
metrical romances, metaphysical poetry, the Marprelate controversy, the closure of the playhouses: picaresque, latitudinarianism and transcendentalism are some of them. Two major ones, The English Language and The Bible in English, were specially commissioned.
|Responsibility:||[compiled by] Michael Stapleton.|
Encompasses more than three thousand entries representing writers, their works, and memorable characters.
- English literature -- Dictionaries.
- English literature -- Bio-bibliography -- Dictionaries.
- American literature -- Dictionaries.
- American literature -- Bio-bibliography -- Dictionaries.
- Commonwealth literature (English) -- Dictionaries.
- Commonwealth literature (English) -- Bio-bibliography -- Dictionaries.
- Littérature anglaise -- Dictionnaires anglais.
- Littérature anglaise -- Biobibliographie.
- Littérature américaine -- Dictionnaires anglais.
- Littérature américaine -- Biobibliographie.
- Littérature du Commonwealth (anglaise) -- Auteurs du Commonwealth -- Dictionnaires anglais.
- Littérature du Commonwealth (anglaise) -- Auteurs du Commonwealth -- Biobibliographie.
- American literature.
- Commonwealth literature (English)
- English literature.
- Engelstalige landen.
- Littérature anglaise -- Dictionnaires.
- American literature
- Commonwealth of Nations literature (English)
- English literature