T Gibson Hobbs; Nancy B Marion; Mary Molyneux Abrams; Thomas G Ledford
|ISBN:||9780977952342 0977952347 9780977952335 0977952339|
|描述：||vii, 166 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. maps, ports., plans ; 26 cm.|
|内容：||Engineering the canal --
Lynchburg and its canal era --
Canal boats --
Canaling on the Jeems and Kanawhy / by Leighman Hawkins --
|责任：||T. Gibson Hobbs, Jr. ; compiled by Nancy Blackwell Marion ; edited by Mary Molyneux Abrams and Thomas G. Ledford.|
Detailed study of the James River and Kanawha Canal, which was begun in 1785 and originally planned to provide inland navigation for commercial boat traffic along the James River to the Ohio River in West Virginia. In addition to chapters on the building of the canal and its impact on Lynchburg, Virginia, this book includes sixty color topographic maps following the canal over the course of approximately 150 river miles in Virginia, from Eagle Rock to Richmond, with photographs and notes on canal structures such as locks, towpaths, tunnels, acqueducts, culverts, and other extant features.
- James River Company (Richmond, Va.)
- James River and Kanawha Company (Richmond, Va.)
- Canals -- Virginia -- History.
- Inland water transportation -- Virginia -- History.
- Canal-boats -- Virginia -- History.
- Packets -- Virginia -- History.
- James River and Kanawha Canal (Va.)
- Inland water transportation.
- Virginia -- James River and Kanawha Canal.