Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Andrew Carnegie; Abraham Flexner; Walter Albert Jessup; Clark Kerr; Henry S Pritchett; Henry Suzzallo; Oliver C Carmichael; William S Learned|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Nicholas Murray Butler; Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
|Description:||approximately 250 linear ft|
|Other Titles:||CFAT Records|
The correspondence and memoranda are of board members, officers, staff, teachers, educational administrators and researchers. It relates to administrative matters; to institutions' applications for admission into a pension plan for teachers, and to CFAT-sponsored research and publications. The pension plan files include detailed information about the standards and policies of many American higher education institutions between 1905 and 1930, when CFAT established and then administered the pension system.
The research and publications files document CFAT's development of the Graduate Record Examination and establishment of the Educational Testing Service as well as the many reports and studies carried out or sponsored by CFAT's Division of Educational Enquiry (founded in 1913), the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education (organized in 1967) and its successor(in 1977), the Carnegie Council on Policy Studies.
The documents include CFAT's charter, acts of incorporation and by-laws. The minutes record meetings of the Board of Trustees, the Executive Committee, the Finance and Administration Committee, the Presidential Search Committee, the Investment Committee, the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education and the Carnegie Council on Policy Studies. The reports are annual reports of the president and the foundation. The manuscripts are drafts of Commission and Council publications. The cashbooks and ledgers cover the years 1920 through 1979. The photographs are mainly of early board members, officers and staff. The printed materials are newspaper clippings as well as pamphlets, bulletins (including the 1910 bulletin which details the results of Abraham Flexner's well-known study of medical education) and books published by CFAT.
- Carnegie, Andrew, -- 1835-1919.
- Flexner, Abraham, -- 1866-1959.
- Jessup, Walter Albert, -- 1877-1944.
- Kerr, Clark, -- 1911-2003.
- Pritchett, Henry S. -- (Henry Smith), -- 1857-1939.
- Suzzallo, Henry, -- 1875-1933.
- Carnegie Corporation of New York.
- Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association.
- Educational Testing Service.
- Graduate Record Examination.
- Carnegie Commission on Higher Education.
- Carnegie Council on Policy Studies in Higher Education.
- Division of Educational Enquiry.
- Endowments -- Officials and employees.
- Endowment of research.
- Charitable uses, trusts, and foundations.
- Endowments -- United States.
- United States -- Social policy.
- Educational tests and measurements.
- African Americans -- Education.
- African Americans -- History.
- Higher education and state -- United States.
- Medical education.
- Pensions -- United States.
- Women -- Education.
- College sports.
- College students -- Political activity.
- College teachers -- Pensions -- United States.
- Teachers -- Pensions -- United States.
- Psychology -- Research.
- Gifted children.
- Education -- Great Britain.
- Education -- United States.
- Education -- Canada.
- Teaching -- Aims and objectives.
- Academic freedom.
- Professional education.
- College presidents.
- Universities and colleges -- United States -- Administration.
- Carmichael, Oliver C.
- Learned, William S.