Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Records and correspondence
|Named Person:||W M Carpenter; Rudyard Kipling; Rudyard Kipling; Rudyard Kipling; Rudyard Kipling; W M Carpenter; Lucile Russell Carpenter; F W Childs; Henry H Conland; L C Dunsterville; Edmonia Taylor Hill; Sidney Lowe; Thomas McLean; Lucile Russell Carpenter; W M Carpenter; F W Childs; Henry H Conland; L C Dunsterville; Edmonia Taylor Hill; Rudyard Kipling; Sidney Lowe; Thomas McLean|
|Material Type:||Biography, Graphic, Manuscript, Photograph|
|Document Type:||Visual material, Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
W M Carpenter; Rudyard Kipling; Lucile Russell Carpenter; Carpenter Kipling Collection (Library of Congress)
|Notes:||Includes four scrapbooks of manuscripts, typescripts, correspondence, transcripts of correspondence, photostat copies of manuscripts, notes, clippings, photographs and other ephemera removed from original binders. Also includes three original scrapbook volumes containing newspaper and magazine clippings from various sources. Two additional volumes containing original correspondence of Rudyard Kipling had been rehoused into one container and are now cataloged under [Carpenter Kipling Collection miscellaneous letters] on lccn 2007581629.
Title devised by Library staff.
LC collection rehoused in 4 boxes: 27 x 40 x 13 cm. and 3 boxes: 37 x 29 x 8 cm. Original scrapbook binders are included at the back of each box.
|Description:||7 scrapbooks (ca. 520 items) ; 30 x 26 cm. and 31 x 27 cm.|
|Contents:||[Vol. 1]. Proof copy of Kipling's poem "To the address of W.W.H." ; Carbon manuscript copy of fragment of essay by Rudyard Kipling written during the "From Sea to Sea" trip, 1889 ; Photostat copies of "Manuscript from Sea to Sea letters India through Japan, 19 Turnovers", 1889 (originals in Henry E. Huntington Library). Photographs and negatives. Typewritten transcripts of Kipling correspondence to James Conland, Charles Warren Stoddard and others transcribed by Carpenter. ALS from Sydney Lowe to W.M. Carpenter dated May 17, 1916 --
[v. 2]. Kipling's writings during the "American Period" / W.M. Carpenter. Kipling Society correspondence with Mr. Carpenter. ALS from L.C. Dunsterville to W.M. Carpenter, August 28, 1931. TLS to W.M. Carpenter from Henry H. Conland, February 20, 1928 --
[v. 3]. Kipling and his college / W.M. Carpenter. Group photograph of Kipling and his schoolmates, ca. 1881. TLS to W.M. Carpenter from Thomas McLean, schoolmate of Kipling from United Services College. On Balfour, Guthrie & Co. letterhead, Tacoma, Washington, dated June 10, 1931. Newspaper clippings from the Civil and Military Gazette, 1888 containing articles by Kipling. Handwritten notes from Mrs. Edmonia Taylor Hill. R.K.'s Allahabad home ; Kipling in San Francisco ; Oregon ; The Kipling creed ; Kipling items copied from newspapers-by W.M.C. ; [various comments on individual Kipling titles] / W.M. Carpenter. Putnam / Rudyard Kipling. "Jungle Dinner Feb. 21, 1899" / Mrs. Hill. TLS to W.M. Carpenter from F.W. Childs, August 9, 1928 and October 11, 1928. Transcripts of letters from W.D. Howells to Aurelia Howells and from Kipling to W.D. Howells. Transcripts of typewritten copies of Last will and testament of ... Rudyard Kipling and Last will and testament of ... Caroline Kipling, widow --
[v. 4]. William M. Carpenter typescripts relating to "The Friend" period in South Africa. Typescript: "Copy of letter from Mrs. Flora V. Livingston to W.M. Carpenter about Kipling's contributions to 'The Friend'". Typescript: "A Burgher of the Free State" / W.M. Carpenter with handwritten note initialed on first page by L.H. Chandler --
[v. 5]. Clippings: India, South Africa, America --
[v. 6]. Clippings: Reviews, Criticisms, Interviews, Addresses, Tributes, Miscellaneous items --
[v. 7]. Clippings: Kipling's life, homes, family. Vermont, World War I. School days. Honors. Religion-Rosicrucians. Illness. Death. Reviews & criticisms of his writings. Mrs. Kipling's death. Disposal of estate. Lord Birkenhead's biography of R.K. banned by Elsie Kipling Bambridge.
|Other Titles:||Carpenter Kipling Collection scrapbooks
Civil & military gazette (Lahore, Pakistan)
- Carpenter, W. M. -- (William Montelle), -- 1866-1931 -- Manuscripts.
- Kipling, Rudyard, -- 1865-1936.
- Kipling, Rudyard, -- 1865-1936 -- Manuscripts.
- Kipling, Rudyard, -- 1865-1936 -- Manuscripts -- Facsimiles.
- Kipling, Rudyard, -- 1865-1936 -- Miscellanea.
- Carpenter, W. M. -- (William Montelle), -- 1866-1931 -- Correspondence.
- Carpenter, Lucile Russell -- Correspondence.
- Childs, F. W. -- (Frederick W.), -- 1849-1946 -- Correspondence.
- Conland, Henry H., -- 1882- -- Correspondence.
- Dunsterville, L. C. -- (Lionel Charles), -- 1865-1946 -- Correspondence.
- Hill, Edmonia Taylor, -- -1952 -- Correspondence.
- Lowe, Sidney -- Correspondence.
- McLean, Thomas -- Correspondence.
- Kipling Society -- Records and correspondence.
- Authors, English -- 19th century -- Biography.
- Authors, English -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Book collectors -- United States -- Correspondence.
- Carpenter, Lucile Russell.
- Carpenter, W. M. -- (William Montelle), -- 1866-1931.
- Childs, F. W. -- (Frederick W.), -- 1849-1946.
- Conland, Henry H., -- 1882-
- Dunsterville, L. C. -- (Lionel Charles), -- 1865-1946.
- Hill, Edmonia Taylor, -- -1952.
- Lowe, Sidney.
- McLean, Thomas.
- Kipling Society.
- Authors, English.
- Book collectors.
- United States.