Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Charles Fairfax Murray|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Charles Fairfax Murray; Hugh William Davies
"One hundred copies printed."
"The term 'German' will be found somewhat comprehensive, including many of the productions of the presses of Holland, Belgium and Switzerland, and a few of Austria-Hungary ... The period in which these books fall is c. 1455 to 1680 ... The majority of the books are of the 15th and 16th centuries ... In assembling this (German) portion of the library more attention has been given to the decorative part of the book than to merely the typographical side. A representative collection therefore has been made of many of the principal books with woodcuts, commencing with the earliest xylographs."--Preface.
Full descriptions, including exact transcription of title (or first lines) and colophon; statement of type, size, binding, and former owner; note of the edition and of other editions; bibliographical references; running description; description of the woodcuts; memoranda on text; biographical notes; and collations. Numerous facsimiles.
Indexes:--I. Authors & persons mentioned.--II. Titles, subjects and places.--III. Artists (designers & cutters)--IV. Printers and publishers.--V. Names of former owners.
Companion work to the Catalogue of a collection of early French books in the library of C. Fairfax Murray issued in 2 vols., 1910.
|Description:||2 volumes illustrations, portraits, plates|
|Responsibility:||comp. by Hugh Wm. Davies ...|
- Incunabula -- Europe, German-speaking -- Bibliography -- Catalogs.
- Murray, Charles Fairfax, -- 1849-1919 -- Library -- Catalogs.
- Incunabula -- England -- Bibliography -- Catalogs.
- Rare books -- England -- Bibliography -- Catalogs.
- Illustrated books -- History -- 15th and 16th centuries -- Bibliography -- Catalogs.
- Europe, German-speaking -- Imprints -- Catalogs.
- Wood-engraving -- Germany -- History.
- Printing -- Germany -- History.
- German imprints -- England -- Catalogs.
- Incunabula as Topic -- Germany -- Catalogs.
- Printing -- Germany -- History -- Catalogs.