Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Curran, Charles E.
Catholic moral tradition today.
Washington, D.C. : Georgetown University Press, ©1999
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Charles E Curran
|ISBN:||0878407170 9780878407170 0878407162 9780878407163|
|Description:||xiii, 255 pages ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Ecclesial context : What is the church? ; Catholicity of the church ; Mediation and hierarchical structure ; Catholic practice ; Dangers in the Catholic approach ; Contemporary challenges to the Catholic approach --
2. Stance : Meaning of stance ; Stance based on the fivefold Christian mysteries ; The stance and the Catholic tradition ; Stance and other approaches ; Sources of moral theology --
3. Model : The deontological model ; The teleological model ; Relationality-responsibility model ; The relationality-responsibility model and Catholic moral theology today --
4. Person : Preliminary considerations ; Discipleship ; Contemporary theology and the person ; Contemporary spirituality and the person ; Contemporary moral theology and the person ; Social and institutional involvements of the person --
5. Virtues : Virtue in the Catholic tradition ; General virtues ; Particular virtues ; Power --
6. Principles : The approach of the hierarchical magisterium ; Criticisms of the hierarchical approach ; Role of principles and norms ; Absolute norms --
7. Conscience : Preliminary considerations ; The Catholic moral tradition ; Other ways of decision making ; A constructive theory of conscience and decision making ; Meaning of sin ; The "law of growth" --
8. Church teaching : Total church as teacher ; The hierarchical teaching office ; Justification of dissent ; Present situation ; Conclusion.
|Series Title:||Moral traditions & moral arguments.|
|Responsibility:||Charles E. Curran.|
Students who want to understand the Catholic moral tradition will find this book to be a rich resource. Curran knows the tradition in all its nuances and intricacies. Journal of the American Academy