Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Calvin W Schwabe
|Description:||xiii, 277 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||1. How man first learned to heal : The evolution of animal cultures ; The great importance of cattle in the early history of man ; The preeminence of cattle in the prehistoric Nile Valley ; Cattle-centered societies of Northeastern Africa today ; Interactions of Black Nilotes and the Ancient Egyptians --
2. The comparative healers of Ancient Egypt : The oldest medical textbook ; The Egyptian priest-healer ; Lay healers of Ancient Egypt ; The state of the comparative medical art in Egypt ; The economic and religious importance of animals in Egyptian life ; Hathor, the Earth Mother, and the Great Bull Gods ; The gods and medicine ; Medicine in Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia compared --
3. Comparative biology: the Greek idea : Changing religious beliefs about animals and progress in medicine ; The comparative foundations of Greek medicine ; The Arabic contribution ; Sicily and the beginnings of modern medicine ; Other developments through the Renaissance ; Species specialization in early medical practice --
4. The importance of veterinary research to human health : Animal medicine in modern times ; The founding of veterinary schools and research progress ; The nineteenth century veterinary physicians ; Contributions of the first veterinary professors ; The germinal role of the new veterinary services in government ; Human health implications of clinical research findings by veterinarians --
5. Toward a truly comparative medicine : Is further animal research necessary to human health? ; Education for medical research ; Medical research training during the past century ; Research training at the level of the professional health science degree ; Education for research in schools of veterinary medicine ; A possible curriculum to prepare medical research scientists ; Support required from the medical establishment.
|Series Title:||Wesley W. Spink lectures on comparative medicine, v. 4.|
|Responsibility:||Calvin W. Schwabe.|
- Medicine -- History.
- Veterinary medicine -- History.
- Medicine, Comparative -- History.
- Medicine -- Research.
- Veterinary medicine -- Research.
- Animal experimentation.
- History of Medicine.
- Veterinary Medicine -- History.
- Médecine -- Histoire.
- Médecine vétérinaire -- Histoire.
- Medicine, Comparative.
- Veterinary medicine.