Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Kit Carson; De Witt C Peters; Kit Carson; Kit Carson; De Witt C Peters|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Kit Carson; De Witt C Peters; Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library); Newberry Library.
|Notes:||Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library).
For more information, consult the Special Collections Info. File.
Signed: C. Carson.
See Ayer MS 139 (Carson's Autobiography).
|Description:||1 item (1 leaf) ; 26 cm|
In 1858 Carson's autobiography was transferred to Dr. Peters who had become acquainted with Carson while serving as an army surgeon in the southwest during the mid-1850's. Peters used the manuscript as the basis for his published work, The life and adventures of Kit Carson (New York : Clark, 1858), a greatly embellished version of the autobiography. The contents of the original manuscript remained unpublished until 1926.
- Carson, Kit, -- 1809-1868.
- Peters, De Witt C. -- (De Witt Clinton), -- -1876.
- Biographers -- United States -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Carson, Kit, -- 1809-1868 -- Autographs.
- Indian agents -- New Mexico -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Scouts and scouting -- West (U.S.) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Manuscripts, American -- New Mexico -- Taos.
- Indian agents.
- Manuscripts, American.
- Scouting (Reconnaissance)
- Scouting (Youth activity)
- Scouts (Reconnaissance)
- Scouts (Youth organization members)
- New Mexico.
- New Mexico -- Taos.
- United States.
- United States, West.