Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
John F Hutchinson
|ISBN:||0813325269 9780813325262 0813331161 9780813331164|
|Awards:||Canadian Historical Society-Societe Historique du Canada Wallace K. Ferguson Prize, 1997.|
|Description:||xxii, 448 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.|
|Contents:||Introduction: The Sacred Cow and the Skeptical Historian --
1. A Happy Coincidence --
2. The Delegates of Humanity --
3. Trial by Combat --
4. Humanity and Patriotism --
5. Organizing for War --
6. Victory and Virtue --
7. New Wine and Old Bottles --
Conclusion: Champions of Charity.
|Responsibility:||John F. Hutchinson.|
The Red Cross played an especially important role in encouraging the mass involvement of women in the "home front" for the first time. It did this through magazines, postcards, posters, bandage-rolling parties, and speeches that blended romantic images of humanitarianism and war into a unique brand of maternal militarism. A true pioneer in mass propaganda, the Red Cross taught millions that preparation for war was not just a patriotic duty but a normal and desirable social activity. The Red Cross societies had proven their usefulness in mobilizing civilians in wartime, and most of their functions were taken over by government agencies by the time of World War II. Gradually the Red Cross became better known for its work in public health, disaster relief, and lifesaving classes. But the legacy of a darker past still lingers: the red cross on a white background found on army ambulances, or the unsubtle subtext of sacrifice and heroism in Red Cross television advertising.
- Red Cross and Red Crescent -- History.
- War -- Relief of sick and wounded -- History.
- Croix-Rouge -- Histoire.
- Guerre -- Secours aux malades et blessés -- Histoire.
- International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Voluntary Health Agencies -- history.
- Wounds and Injuries.
- Rode Kruis.
- Internationales Komitee vom Roten Kreuz -- Geschichte
- Internationale Föderation der Liga der Rotkreuz- und Rothalbmondgesellschaften -- Geschichte
- Internationales Rotes Kreuz.
- Red Cross -- History.
- Red Cross and Red Crescent.
- War -- Relief of sick and wounded.