Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Charles G Finney; Charles Grandison Finney|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Charles E Hambrick-Stowe
|Description:||xvii, 317 p. : ill., map ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||Foreword / Allen C. Guelzo --
This contest with God --
Pleading the Lord's cause --
Can two walk together? --
Make you a new heart --
The anxious seat --
Not a miracle --
Holiness to the Lord --
Rebuke the national sins --
Whitefield redivivus --
President Finney's evangelical spirit --
A note on the sources.
|Series Title:||Library of religious biography.|
|Responsibility:||Charles E. Hambrick-Stowe.|
Hambrick-Stowe tells the story of Finney's remarkable life and offers fresh insights into the nature of evangelicalism and the nineteenth-century American experience. By using the life of the great revivalist and educator as a window into the soul of American evangelicalism, Hambrick-Stowe shows in striking ways how Finney displayed the characteristics of that broader movement, many of which continue to flourish in twentieth-century religious life. Based on a thorough.
reading of the Finney Papers, Finney's writings, contemporary sources, and modern historiography, this biography exhibits scholarly depth in a popular narrative that is meant to be read and enjoyed as well as studied. A map of Finney's evangelistic travels, portraits, and other illustrations enhance the text.
- Finney, Charles G., -- 1792-1875.
- Congregational churches -- United States -- Clergy -- Biography.
- Evangelists -- United States -- Biography.
- Revivals -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Evangelicalism -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Finney, Charles Grandison
- Congregational churches -- Clergy -- Biography -- United States
- Congregational churches -- United States -- Clergy -- Biography
- Evangelicalism -- History -- 19th century -- United States
- Evangelicalism -- United States -- History -- 19th century
- Evangelists -- Biography -- United States
- Evangelists -- United States -- Biography
- Finney -- Charles Grandison -- 1792-1875
- Revivals -- History -- 19th century -- United States
- Revivals -- United States -- History -- 19th century