Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Atkinson family; R Bunsen; Croasdale family; Evans family; John William Mallet; Maulsby family; Charles L Patterson; Charles L Reese; Charles Lee Reese; Reese family.; Rhodes family; Victor von Richter; Smith family; Tomlinson family|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Charles L Reese
|Language Note:||Some items in German.|
|Description:||1.5 linear ft.|
The student notebooks are Reese's class notes, particularly from chemistry courses under J. W. Mallet at Virginia and von Richter and Bunsen at Heidelberg. There are also Reese's lecture notes for a course on geology taught at the Citadel in 1894. The lecture and publications date from Reese's tenure as a Du Pont chemist and primarily stress the benefits of industrial research. There is also a 2 p. list of Reese's publications.
The genealogical materials include a few old family letters, genealogical notes and a typescript genealogy of the Reese family, including the following allied families: Atkinson, Croasdale, Evans, Maulsby, Rhodes, Smith and Tomlinson.
A memorandum book records Reese's expenses and itineraries while a student, particularly at Heidelberg. There are also nine opera libretti with annotations by Reese from his days in Germany, including works by Bizet, Beethoven, Flowtow, Mozart, Rossini and Wagner. Scrapbooks kept by Reese during his last years in Germany and immediately after his return contain newsclippings, snapshots, photographs, drawings, school reports, songs and ephemera like four Confederate bills. Reese kept up the scrapbooks into the 1930s. A small group of papers record trips taken by Eben Reese between 1931 to 1933, including to the Chicago World's Fair and a coast-to-coast trip with return by the Panama Canal.
In contrast, the articles and lectures are primarily professional papers from Reese's chemical career.
- Atkinson family -- Genealogy.
- Bunsen, R. -- (Robert), -- 1811-1899.
- Croasdale family -- Genealogy.
- Evans family -- Genealogy.
- Mallet, John William, -- 1832-1912.
- Maulsby family -- Genealogy.
- Patterson, Charles L. -- (Charles Loeser), -- 1855-1930.
- Reese, Charles L. -- (Charles Lee), -- 1862-1940.
- Reese, Charles Lee, -- 1903-1989.
- Reese family.
- Rhodes family -- Genealogy.
- Richter, Victor von, -- 1841-1891.
- Smith family -- Genealogy.
- Tomlinson family -- Genealogy.
- American Chemical Society.
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company.
- Johns Hopkins University.
- Universität Heidelberg.
- University of Virginia.
- Chemical industry.
- Chemistry, Technical.
- Explosives industry.
- Money -- Confederate States of America.
- Operas -- Librettos.
- Research, Industrial.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)