Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||383 pages ; 25 cm|
"In 1938, Ruby, Helen and Grace, three girls from very different backgrounds, find themselves competing at the same audition for showgirl roles at San Francisco's exclusive "Oriental" nightclub, the Forbidden City. Grace, an American-born Chinese girl has fled the Midwest and an abusive father. Helen is from a Chinese family who have deep roots in San Francisco's Chinatown. And, as both her friends know, Ruby is Japanese passing as Chinese. At times their differences are pronounced, but the girls grow to depend on one another in order to fulfill their individual dreams. Then, everything changes in a heartbeat with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Suddenly the government is sending innocent Japanese to internment camps under suspicion, and Ruby is one of them. But which of her friends betrayed her?"--
- Female friendship -- Fiction.
- Chinese American women -- Fiction.
- Japanese American women -- Fiction.
- Betrayal -- Fiction.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- California -- Fiction.
- Chinatown (San Francisco, Calif.) -- Fiction.
- FICTION / Literary.
- FICTION / Historical.
- FICTION / Sagas.
User lists with this item (5)
- "P" Lamson's Newest Acquisitions in Language and Literature(347 items)
by LamsonFitz updated about 21 hours ago
- 2014 - New Fiction Titles (January 6- July 21)(262 items)
by nblibrary updated about 15 hours ago
- Most popular items for June 2014(500 items)
by drewwilson updated about a month ago
- New Fiction, June 2014, High Point University(8 items)
by hpucataloger updated about a month ago
- Most popular items for May 2014(500 items)
by drewwilson updated 2014-06-02