Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Choosing the president.
New York : Lyons Press, c1999
|All Authors / Contributors:||League of Women Voters (U.S.)|
|ISBN:||1558219595 9781558219595 1558219587 9781558219588|
|Description:||xiii, 157 p. ; 21 cm.|
|Contents:||pt. I. The players. 1. We the people : It's been a long road: voting in the nation's early years ; Opening democracy's door: expanding the franchise ; Unfinished business: lowering the barriers to voting ; Turnout turns down: voter participation hits new low ; Turning things around: how to increase voter turnout --
2. The candidates : Are they crazy? What it takes to run for president ; Where do they come from? The candidates' varied backgrounds ; Running for the boss's job: When the vice president steps up ; Political newcomers: nonpoliticians in the running ; Campaign strategy, part I: the candidates and the issues ; Campaign strategy, part II: dividing the electorate --
3. The parties and other behind-the-scenes powers : Early history: how the political parties came to be ; The life of the parties: the Democrats and Republicans take center stage ; Party mechanics: how the parties work ; Independents' day: are the parties in decline? ; Enter the special interests: independent groups step up their campaign activity --
4. The media : Running for coverage: the candidates and the media ; The media under fire: what's wrong with today's election coverage? ; The media respond: is political coverage getting better? ; The new media: expanding election coverage ; New media = new freedom for voters ; Too much of a good thing? Critiquing the new media ; Finding the best election coverage: what you can do ; Elections go online --
5. M-O-N-E-Y : How did we get here? A short history of campaign finance ; Public funding of presidential elections: how it works ; Getting around the rules: soft money isn't hard to find ; Soft-money donors: who are they? ; Beyond soft money: other campaign finance loopholes ; Cleaning up campaigns: proposals for reform --
pt. II. The process. 6. Early action : Laying the groundwork: campaigning unannounced ; The money chase, part I: PAC attack ; The money chase, part II: the exploratory committee ; Competing for talent: lining up key advisors and staff ; Who's who: the campaign team ; Making it official: the announcement ; After the early going: a winnowing of the field --
7. The primaries and caucuses : How it works: choosing the delegates ; Primary education: what is a primary? ; A primary alternative: what's a caucus? ; The early states: Iowa and New Hampshire ; An accelerated schedule for 2000 ; Primary participation: who votes in the primaries? --
8. The conventions : What's it all about? The function of the national conventions ; The delegates: who are all these people? ; The scripted convention: a news- and controversy-free event ; The role of the media: the conventions as news events ; Convention highlights: a viewer's guide --
9. The general election campaign : Campaign strategy, part I: a shift to the center ; Campaign strategy, part II: targeting a candidate's appeal ; Campaign tactics, part I: the candidates in control ; Campaign tactics, part II: a little help from my friends ; Campaign tactics, part III: on the ground and on the air ; The candidates face off: the presidential debates --
10. Election day : Affirming your vote: about the electoral college ; A college education: how does the electoral college work? ; Do we really need the electoral college? Proposals for change ; Tabulating the outcome: the results are in! ; Exit interviews by the media: divining the results ; Early projections: jumping the gun ; Making it official.
|Responsibility:||the League of Women Voters.|
- Presidents -- United States -- Election.
- Voting -- United States.
- Political campaigns -- United States.
- Presidential candidates -- United States.
- Elections -- United States.
- Élections -- États-Unis -- 20e siècle.
- Présidents -- États-Unis -- Election (2000).
- États-Unis -- Présidents et chefs d'État -- Élection.