Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Christopher Columbus Augur; Christopher Columbus Augur|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Original artwork|
|Document Type:||Visual material, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Christopher Columbus Augur; William S Soule; H A Doerr; C S Fly; Alexander Gardner; Alfred A Hart; John K Hillers; William Henry Jackson; Timothy H O'Sullivan; C R Savage; John B Silvis; Edward E. Ayer Photograph Collection (Newberry Library); Edward E. Ayer Art Collection (Newberry Library); Newberry Library.
|Notes:||Title supplied by cataloger.
In boxes with title: Christopher C. Augur Collection.
Photographs, numbered AP 2723-2994, are individually listed in the Ayer Indian Photographs Index. Prints numbered AP 447-449.
|Description:||8.2 linear feet (272 photoprints and 3 prints in 4 boxes and 8 oversize boxes)|
Gardner images include 90 large mounted prints, "Scenes in the Indian Country," and 98 stereographs, mainly documenting Fort Laramie Indian Peace Commission meetings with the Arapaho, Sioux, Cheyenne, and Crow tribes. Included are Indian camp scenes and portraits, and views of the fort, its surroundings, and the negotiations. There are also several Kansas scenes taken by Gardner in 1867. There are 27 Wyoming images, "Picturesque Views of Rocky Mountain Scenery," taken by Jackson in 1870 when he accompanied Hayden's Geological Survey of the Territories. The 22 Soule photoprints are mainly portraits of Arapaho, Comanche, and Kiowa chiefs, probably taken at Fort Sill, Okla., 1869-1874. There are also stereographs by A.A. Hart, C.R. Savage, C.W. Carter, H.L. Bingham, D.F. Mitchell, and J.B. Silvis, and large format prints by H.A. Doerr, containing views of Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroad routes, military posts in Texas and Wyoming, Sacramento, Calif., Prescott, Ariz., San Antonio, Tex., and the Mormon Tabernacle. In addition there are portraits of Gen. Augur, Nez Percé Chief Joseph, and Gen. Gibbons, and two views of the Naval Academy and the National Asylum for Disabled Veterans.
- Augur, Christopher Columbus, -- 1821-1898 -- Photograph collections.
- Geological Survey of the Territories (U.S.) -- Photographs.
- United States. -- Indian Peace Commission (1867-1868) -- Photographs.
- Indians of North America -- West (U.S.) -- Photographs.
- Indians of North America -- Pictorial works.
- Arapaho Indians -- Photographs.
- Cheyenne Indians -- Photographs.
- Comanche Indians -- Photographs.
- Crow Indians -- Photographs.
- Dakota Indians -- Photographs.
- Kiowa Indians -- Photographs.
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 -- Pictorial works.
- Military bases -- West (U.S.) -- Photographs.
- Fort Laramie (Wyo. : Fort) -- Photographs.
- West (U.S.) -- Photographs.
- Kansas -- Photographs.
- Wyoming -- Photographs.
- Augur, Christopher Columbus, -- 1821-1898.
- Geological Survey of the Territories (U.S.)
- United States. -- Indian Peace Commission (1867-1868)
- Arapaho Indians.
- Cheyenne Indians.
- Comanche Indians.
- Crow Indians.
- Dakota Indians.
- Indians of North America.
- Kiowa Indians.
- Military bases.
- Photograph collections.
- United States, West.
- Wyoming -- Fort Laramie (Fort)