Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Description:||320 pages ; 17 cm|
|Contents:||1. Church and state: the why and how of separation ; Idea of democracy in St. Thomas / R. W. Mulligan; Catholics and democracy / Austin J. App ; Religion in the american republic / M. S. Welsh,O.P. ; American epoch in the catholic church / Evelyn Waugh ; Pius XII and the u.s.a. / James F. Murray, Jr. --
2. Religion and science: are they really in combat? ; Aquinas speaks again / Joseph J. Harnett ; The universe is born / Norman Carlisle ; Modern medicine becomes catholic / A. G. Badenoch, M.D. ; Science seeks almighty God / Sir Edmund Whittaker, F.R.S. ; Pasteur / James J. Walsh --
3. The church in the social order: Who helps whom most? ; The issue / Hilaire Belloc ; Are catholics good neighbors? / Maurice S. Sheehy ; Democracy is the revolution / Barbara Ward ; Protect the worker? / Pope Leo XIII ; Curing capitalism / Daniel Lyons, S.J. ; Three plans for the world / Fulton J. Sheen : What does the catholic church want? / John Courtney Murray, S.J. --
4. Religion and education: Is God to be expelled? ; A protestant looks at the schools / Henry P. Van Dusen ; Bill Jackson on education / Thomas E. O'Connell ; School bus problem / F. J. O'Neill ; Why the catholic school? / John A. O'Brien 5. The church in current history: Different countries, different problems ; When the communists went to Spain / Benjamin Gitlow ; The Vatican and the Japanese surrender / Rear Adm. E. M. Zacharias ; Underground in Nazi Germany / Anthony B. Atar ; Christianity in Sweden / Edward Bowron --
6. Religion and racial equalilty : Does God draw a color line? ; The races of mankind / Ruth Benedict and Gene Weltfish ; Patterns in segregation / John Lafarge, S.J. ; Return of a negro native / The Priest ; Gypsies know suffering / Antony D. Hippisley Coxe ; Broken nose, broken heart / Richard H. Hungerford --
7. The church in industry: Who held what worker down? ; Strikes settled while you eat / Jules Archer ; Where workers are taught to think / Gerald Fagan, S.J. ; World crisis and human personality / Dietrich von Hildebrand ; Co-ops are concrete ; Leo R. Ward, C.S.C. ; Human beings in industry / Robert Wood Johnson ; Keep 'em on the farm / Frank Hamilton --
8. Religion and art: Truth is beauty and both are God ; The catholic attitude toward art / Graham Carey ; The mystery plays / A. C. Bailey ; Stained Glass / Robert J. Cadigan ; Rome, ever old and ever new / Barbara Ward ; The cloisters in New York city / Mary M. Davis --
9. Virtue and vice: The movements of virtue, like chess are unlimited ; Lessons for lovers / Walter Le Beau ; Divorces Anonymous / Eileen O'Hara ; Spurious piety / F. C. Smith, S.J. ; the diary of a country priest / Georges Bernanos ; Farmer at forty hours / Albert Eisele.
|Responsibility:||selected by the editors of the Catholic digest.|