Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Winston Churchill; Winston S Churchill; Winston Churchill, Sir; Winston Churchill|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xiii, 202 p. ; 22 cm.|
|Contents:||Churchill the visionary --
Churchill and Stalin --
Churchill and Roosevelt --
Churchill and Eisenhower --
Churchill, Europe, and appeasement --
Churchill's historianship --
His failures. His critics --
Two recent biographies --
"Each chapter of this book provides an essential portrait of Churchill at the height of his powers. In addition to vividly depicting his relationships with Stalin, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and other world leaders, Lukacs reflects on Churchill's ability to foresee the coming of World War II and the Cold War; he weighs Churchill's stature as a historian looking backward at the conflicts of which he was so much a part; and he examines the often contradictory ways Churchill has been perceived by critics and admirers alike.
The last chapter is a powerful and deeply moving evocation of the three days Lukacs spent in London attending Churchill's funeral in 1965, and it offers a final assessment of Churchill's place in history through the prism of the varied individuals who came to honor him after his death. In Churchill: Visionary. Statesman. Historian., Luckacs sets forth the essence of this towering figure with consummate mastery."--BOOK JACKET.
- Churchill, Winston, -- 1874-1965.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 20th century.
- Prime ministers -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Historians -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Churchill, Winston S. -- (Winston Spencer), -- 1874-1965.
- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
- Churchill, Winston, -- Sir, -- 1874-1965.
- Premiers ministres -- Grande-Bretagne -- Biographies.
- Historiens -- Grande-Bretagne -- Biographies.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 20e siècle.
- Political science.
- Prime ministers.
- Great Britain.