Vyhledat exemplář v knihovně
Vyhledávání knihoven, které vlastní tento dokument...
|Doplňující formát:||Online version:
Gooch, Brad, 1952-
New York : Knopf : Distributed by Random House, 1993
|Osoba:||Frank O'Hara; Frank O'Hara; Frank O'Hara; Frank O'Hara; Frank O'Hara|
|Popis:||xiv, 532 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.|
Here are the openings at the Tibor de Nagy Gallery or at the Museum of Modern Art, where O'Hara brilliantly curated one-man shows of the work of Robert Motherwell, David Smith, and Franz Kline. And, here, above all, is the genesis of his poems - often dashed off in a crowded banquette at the Cedar bar - poems whose special quality Allen Ginsberg has perfectly expressed: "He taught me to really see New York for the first tinge. It was like having Catullus change your view of the Forum in Rome."
. City Poet follows O'Hara from his insular Catholic childhood, to his service in the Navy during World War II, to Harvard, to his great New York years - wherever he was, he was a magnet. "Right away," de Kooning has said, "he was at the center of things, and he did not bulldoze. There was a good-omen feeling about him." O'Hara's presence at parties became so coveted that, according to Helen Frankenthaler, invitations often bore the written promise, "Frank will be there." In this book, Gooch tells the unforgettable story that was suddenly cut short on July 25, 1966, when O'Hara, just turning forty and at the height of his powers, was struck down by a jeep on the beach at Fire Island. His funeral in Green River Cemetery in Springs, Long Island, marked for many the end of the party which had been the fifties art world. This biography celebrates the life of one of the great American poets of the twentieth century.
Související předmětová hesla:(13)
- O'Hara, Frank, -- 1926-1966.
- O'Hara, Frank, -- 1926-1966 -- Relations with men.
- New York (N.Y.) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.
- Poets, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Art critics -- United States -- Biography.
- Gay men -- United States -- Biography.
- O'Hara, Frank -- (1926-1966).
- O'Hara, Frank
- O'Hara, Frank -- Biography.
- Art critics -- Biography -- United States
- New York (N.Y.) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century
- Poets, American -- Biography -- 20th century