Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Trubowitz, Lara, 1966-
Civil antisemitism, modernism, and British culture, 1902-1939.
New York, New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 
|Named Person:||Virginia Woolf; Wyndham Lewis; Djuna Barnes|
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780230391673 0230391672 1280585404 9781280585401|
|Description:||1 online resource.|
|Contents:||Rethinking British Civility, 1897-1939 --
Acting like an Alien, or Civilizing Antisemitism in British Immigration Law --
Fascist Ethnographers/Fascist Philosemites --
'The Jews Are News': Wyndham Lewis and the Jewish Refugee Crisis of the 1930s --
Concealing Leonard's Nose: Virginia Woolf, Antisemitism, and 'The Duchess and the Jeweller' --
In Search of 'the Jew' in Djuna Barnes's Nightwood --
Rethinking Ambivalence .
"This book focuses on "civil" antisemitism in twentieth-century Britain, a crucial and often critically neglected form of anti-Jewish rhetoric. Civil antisemitism is shaped by a tradition of British civility and etiquette, one that disdains blatant or "vulgar" expressions of bigotry. This preoccupation with courtesy and manners gives rise to techniques for cloaking the virulence of anti-Jewish hostilities--in short, hate rhetoric functioning as "civil" discourse. The book addresses a variety of manifestations of civil antisemitism, including parliamentary debates, ethnographic reportage, fascist fiction and propaganda, and ultimately modernist literature, particularly the work of Djuna Barnes, Virginia Woolf, and Wyndham Lewis"--
- Jews in literature.
- Antisemitism in literature.
- English literature -- 20th century -- History and criticism.
- Antisemitism -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
- Jews -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
- Antisemitism in language.
- Modernism (Literature)
- Woolf, Virginia, -- 1882-1941 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Lewis, Wyndham, -- 1882-1957 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Barnes, Djuna. -- Nightwood.
- LITERARY CRITICISM / General.
- LITERARY CRITICISM / Jewish.
- LITERARY CRITICISM / European / English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh.