Find a copy in the library
|Named Person:||Armistead Borland; Lucius L Button; Agnes Crane; Edmund Crane; Cora (Howorth) Crane; Stephen Crane; William Crane; Nellie Crouse; Crane family.; Cyrus Lawrence Day; Frank Vincent DuMond; Mansfield Joseph French; Clara Frewen; Moreton Frewen; Lillian Barnard Gilkes; Elbert Hubbard; Robert Underwood Johnson; Corwin Knapp Linson; John S Mayfield; Frank W Noxon; James B Pinker; Paul Revere Reynolds; Melvin H Schoberlin; Louis Senger; R W Stallman; Vincent Starrett; Post Wheeler; Ames W Williams|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||19.5 linear ft.|
Correspondence, spanning the years 1889-1910, is chronologically arranged and divided into incoming and outgoing Stephen Crane letters, incoming and outgoing Cora Crane letters, and third-party correspondence. Stephen Crane's correspondents include family members (Edmund and William Crane); friends (Armistead Borland, Lucius L. Button, Nellie Crouse, Clara and Moreton Frewen, Corwin Knapp Linson, Louis Senger, Post Wheeler); and literary agents (James B. Pinker, Paul Revere Reynolds). Cora Crane's letters consist primarily of those she wrote for Crane to literary agent James B. Pinker and several letters to Crane's friends (Clara and Moreton Frewen, Corwin Knapp Linson, Louis Senger) after his death. Referring to Stephen Crane and/or his work, third-party correspondence is arranged by author and includes letters to or from family (William Crane), artists (Frank Vincent DuMond, Corwin Knapp Linson), and publishing and/or literary figures (Copeland and Day, Elbert Hubbard, R.U. Johnson, James B. Pinker, Paul Revere Reynolds).
Writings include thirteen holograph manuscripts, five typescripts, and two published versions of Crane's prose and verse.
Memorabilia comprises family papers, legal materials, and miscellany, and includes writings by Crane's sister, Agnes, Crane's death certificate, an affidavit of M. Helen Crane, autograph albums with Crane inscriptions, and artifacts (a baseball used by Crane, calling cards, and stationery sheets with Crane's name among those on the letterhead).
Also included are the Crane research collections of eight authors and/or collectors: Cyrus Day, Mansfield J. French, Lillian Gilkes, Corwin Knapp Linson, Frank Noxon, Melvin H. Schoberlin, Vincent Starrett, and Ames Williams.
The Stephen Crane Collection Photographs and the Lillian Gilkes Papers unrelated to Crane are inventoried and housed separately. In addition, many published Crane works and reference materials are located in Special Collections.
- Borland, Armistead.
- Button, Lucius L.
- Copeland and Day.
- Crane, Agnes.
- Crane, Edmund.
- Crane, Cora, (Howorth) -- 1865-1910.
- Crane, Stephen, -- 1871-1900.
- Crane, William.
- Crouse, Nellie.
- Crane family.
- Day, Cyrus Lawrence, -- 1900-1968.
- DuMond, Frank Vincent, -- 1865-1951.
- French, Mansfield Joseph, -- 1872-
- Frewen, Clara.
- Frewen, Moreton, -- 1853-1924.
- Gilkes, Lillian Barnard, -- 1902-
- Hubbard, Elbert, -- 1856-1915.
- Johnson, Robert Underwood, -- 1853-1937.
- Linson, Corwin Knapp, -- 1864-
- Mayfield, John S., -- 1904-
- Noxon, Frank W.
- Pinker, James B.
- Reynolds, Paul Revere.
- Schoberlin, Melvin H., -- 1912-
- Senger, Louis.
- Stallman, R. W. -- (Robert Wooster), -- 1911-1982.
- Starrett, Vincent, -- 1886-1974.
- Wheeler, Post, -- 1869-1956.
- Williams, Ames W. -- (Ames William)
- American literature -- 19th century.
- American poetry -- 19th century.
- Authors, American.
- Authors and publishers.
- Greco-Turkish War, 1897 -- Journalists.
- Journalists -- United States.
- Novelists, American.
- Poets, American.
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Campaigns -- Cuba -- Journalists.
- War correspondents.