Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Stuart Campbell; William J Cromie; William Henry Drummond; Andrew Macphail; William O Partridge; Edward R Peacock; George P Pilling; Samuel Scoville; Harvey Smith; Benton Spruance|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
R Tait McKenzie
|Description:||48 Cubic ft.|
The Correspondence subseries detail the full range of career interests of R. Tait McKenzie including art, athletics, physical education, anatomy, medicine, and physical therapy. Major correspondents include: Marquis de Aberdeen, Burdick Cabinet Company, Stuart Campbell, William J. Cromie, William Henry Drummond, Lea and Febiger, Sir Andrew Macphail, William O. Partridge, Edward R. Peacock, George P. Pilling, Samuel Scoville, Lord Seaforth, Harvey Smith, and Benton Spruance.
The Professional Organizations and Clubs in which he participated are also documented in the collection. They include the Academy of Physical Medicine, the American Olympic Association, the American Physical Education Association, American Posture League, Art Club, Athenaeum, British Great War Veterans of America, Canadian Club, Charakaa Club, Commission for the Study of Educational Problems, Contemporary Club of America, English Speaking Union, Fencer's Club, Lenape Club, Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania, Middle Atlantic States Collegiate Athletic Conference, National Amateur Athletic Federation of America, National Collegiate Association, National Physical Education Association, National Sculpture Society, Philadelphia Sketch Club, Playgrounds Association of America, St. Andrews Society, St. George Society, Scottish-American Memorial Association, Society of Directors of Physical Education in Colleges, T-Square Club, and the YMCA.
The University of Pennsylvania subseries best documents his interests in physical education and physical therapy. The curriculum and education theories promoted by McKenzie are reflected in his departmental correspondence, 1900-1928. Information on the Council of Athletics, 1921-1924, as well as the various activities of the department may be found here. McKenzie maintained files in annual reports, athletics demonstrations, boxing, courses, examinations, finances, football, the gymnasium, his sabbatical, student statistics, and apparatus design. In addition, the University's participation in the Association of American Colleges and the formation of the Gates plan are present in this subseries.
McKenzie's Lectures and Speeches subseries and his Writings and Manuscript subseries mirror the interests McKenzie maintained throughout his life. His earlier papers focus on medicine and gradually come to include physical education. His latter papers reflect his art career. The Photographic and Art series document his work in sculpture and relief. Included are plaster casts, studies, and proofs of McKenzie's Sculptures and medallions.
- Campbell, Stuart.
- Cromie, William J.
- Drummond, William Henry, -- 1854-1907.
- Macphail, Andrew.
- Partridge, William O.
- Peacock, Edward R.
- Pilling, George P.
- Scoville, Samuel.
- Smith, Harvey.
- Spruance, Benton.
- Burdick Cabinet Company.
- Academy of Physical Medicine.
- American Posture League.
- American Olympic Association.
- Art Club.
- British Great War Veterans of America.
- Canadian Club.
- Charakaa Club.
- Commission for the Study of Educational Problems.
- Contemporary Club of America.
- English Speaking Union.
- Lea and Febiger.
- Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania.
- Middle Atlantic States Collegiate Athletic Conference.
- National Amateur Athletic Federation of America.
- National Collegiate Association.
- National Physical Education Association.
- National Sculptural Society.
- Philadelphia Sketch Society.
- Playgrounds Association of America.
- Scottish American Memorial Association.
- Society of Directors of Physical Education in Colleges.
- T-Square Club.
- University of Pennsylvania. -- Lenape Club.
- University of Pennsylvania -- Sports.
- Physical education and training -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- Physical education facilities -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Physical fitness -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Physical education for women -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Physical therapy -- Study and teaching -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- War work -- England -- Manchester.
- War wounds.
- Rehabilitation technology -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Sculpture, Modern -- 20th century -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Sculpture, Modern -- 20th century -- Canada.
- Relief (Sculpture) -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Relief (Sculpture) -- Canada.