Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Joseph Smith; Hyrum Smith; James Arlington Bennet; Twiss Bermingham; Thomas Gregg; Sidney Rigdon; Solomon Spaulding; James Jesse Strang; E B Washburne; Walter C Wyman; Brigham Young|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Joseph Smith; Hyrum Smith; Twiss Bermingham; Thomas S Brockman; Arthur B Deming; Miner R Deming; Thomas Gregg; Aaron Johnson; Andrew Johnston, Mormon.; Ebenezer Robinson; Emma Hale Smith; E B Washburne; Levi Williams, Colonel Illinois Militia.; Brigham Young; Walter C Wyman; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.; Illinois. Infantry Regiment, 59th.; Nauvoo (Ill.). Court.; Chicago Historical Society,
|Description:||ca. 175 items.|
Correspondents include Joseph Smith, Joseph Smith III, Thomas S. Brockman, Thomas Gregg, Andrew Johnston, John Taylor, Brigham Young, and Levi Williams. Additional topics include Illinois militia operations in Hancock County, the trial and murder of Joseph and Hyrum Smith, leadership of the Mormon community, and the Kinderhook plates found in 1843.
This collection includes 7 items written or signed by Joseph Smith: personal letters to his wife Emma (1832 June 6; 1840 Jan. 20); Joseph Smith's certification of ordination of Sylvester Stoddard (1836 Oct. 13); Joseph Smith's patriarchal blessing of Robert D. Foster (1840 July 20); letter concerning the expenses of his arrest and trial (1841 Sept. 30); summons issued by Joseph Smith (1842 Dec. 2); and document granting his power of attorney to Franklin J. Bartlett (1843 March 25).
The Kirtland (Ohio) ledger (1836-1837; 1 volume) lists stockholders of the Mormon bank and includes an index (1 volume).
The docket book from the Nauvoo Court (1841-1845, 268 p.) includes entries by justices of the peace Aaron Johnson and Ebenezer Robinson. Among the litigants listed are Jacob B. Backenstos, Francis M. Higbee, Hyrum Smith, Joseph Smith, and Brigham Young.
Collection includes a typescript copy (15 p.) of a diary of Twiss Bermingham describing the journey that he and his family made from Dublin, Ireland, to join the Mormons in Salt Lake City in 1856. Original of this item is in the New York Public Library.
- Smith, Joseph, -- 1805-1844.
- Smith, Hyrum, -- 1800-1844.
- Bennet, James Arlington, -- 1788-1863.
- Bermingham, Twiss.
- Gregg, Thomas, -- 1808-1892.
- Rigdon, Sidney, -- 1793-1876.
- Spaulding, Solomon, -- 1761-1816.
- Strang, James Jesse, -- 1813-1856.
- Washburne, E. B -- (Elihu Benjamin), -- 1816-1887.
- Wyman, Walter C.
- Young, Brigham, -- 1801-1877.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Icarian Community.
- Illinois. -- Infantry Regiment, 59th.
- Nauvoo (Ill.). -- Court.
- Actions and defenses -- Illinois -- 19th century.
- Banks -- Ohio -- Kirtland -- 19th century.
- Mormon Church -- 19th century.
- Mormon Church -- Controversial literature.
- Mormon Church -- History.
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo.
- Mormons -- Ohio -- Kirtland.
- Mormons -- Utah
- Newspaper publishing -- Illinois -- 19th century.
- Hancock County (Ill.) -- Politics and government -- 19th century.
- Illinois -- History -- 1818-1861.
- Illinois -- Politics and government -- To 1865.
- Kinderhook (Ill.) -- Antiquities.
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel -- 19th century.