Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||In part, transcripts of originals held by family members.|
|Description:||1 linear ft.|
Papers of John Littlejohn Wilson (1813-1899, Framingham), shipping merchant and agent in Haiti for A.S. and W.G. Lewis & Co., and U.S. consul to Haiti, include business and personal letters in a case brought against the U.S. by Wilson as surviving partner in the firm of Wilson, Laroche & Co., claiming losses of cargoes and ships to Confederate cruisers; inventory of his estate (1899); and family letters (ca. 1863-1908) of his wife, Frances Lewis Wilson (1819-1920), and an account, written in her old age, of their many years (1843-1870) spent in Haiti. Includes records (ca. 1800-1900) of French spoliation claims brought against the U.S. by the firm Thomas Lewis & Son and survivors for losses to French privateers of schooner Ranger (1798) and ship Hope (1800) and records of the distribution through estate administrators of the settlements of these claims; account books of Thomas Lewis III and John Littlejohn Wilson; diaries of Mary Ann Dudley Lewis (Mrs. William Gustavus Lewis) and Frances Lewis Wilson describing European travels (1862, 1867, 1885); letters from extended family members; genealogical material tracing the Lewis line to the Lothrop family of Cape Cod, Mass.; biographical data; information concerning the family-owned wharf in Boston; clippings; photos; and other papers. No papers dated 1901-1919.
- Ships -- Cargo.
- Shipping -- Massachusetts.
- Sailing ships -- Massachusetts.
- Privateering -- France.
- Decedents' estates -- Massachusetts.
- Schooners -- Massachusetts.
- Ships -- Massachusetts.
- International trade.
- Freight and freightage -- Massachusetts.
- Wharves -- Massachusetts.
- French spoliation claims.
- Diplomatic and consular service, American -- Haiti.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Claims.
- China -- Commerce -- United States.
- France -- Commerce -- United States.
- Spain -- Commerce -- United States.
- Guadeloupe -- Commerce -- United States.
- West Indies -- Commerce -- United States.
- United States -- Commerce.
- Great Britain -- Commerce -- United States.
- Massachusetts -- Genealogy.
- Cape Cod (Mass.) -- Genealogy.
- Haiti -- Description and travel.
- Haiti -- Foreign relations -- United States.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Haiti.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- Voyages and travels -- 19th century.
- Women -- Personal and other papers -- 19th century.
- Massachusetts -- Business, industries, and trades -- Shipping.
- Massachusetts -- Business, industries, and trades -- Merchants.
- Boston (Mass.) -- Business, industries, and trades -- Shipping.
- Boston (Mass.) -- Business, industries, and trades -- Merchants.
- Massachusetts -- Family and personal papers -- 19th-20th centuries.
- Lynn (Mass.) -- Family and personal papers.
- Framingham (Mass.) -- Family and personal papers.
- Decedents' estates.
- Diplomatic and consular service, American.
- Freight and freightage.
- Diplomatic relations.
- Sailing ships.
- Great Britain.
- Massachusetts -- Cape Cod.
- United States.
- West Indies.