You are not connected to the UCLA Library network. Access to online content and services may require you to authenticate with your library. Off-Campus Access
Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Lynda M Duke; Andrew D Asher
|ISBN:||9780838911167 0838911161 9780838993576 0838993575 9780838993583 0838993583 9780838993590 0838993591 9780838993606 0838993605|
|Description:||xi, 191 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Ethnographic research in Illinois academic libraries : the ERIAL Project / Andrew D. Asher, Susan Miller, and David Green --
Pragmatism and idealism in the academic library : an analysis of faculty and librarian expectations and values / Mary Thill --
Marketing the library's instructional services to teaching faculty : learning from teaching faculty interviews / Annie Armstrong --
Why don't students ask librarians for help? : undergraduate help-seeking behavior in three academic libraries / Susan Miller and Nancy Murillo --
Searching for answers : student research behavior at Illinois Wesleyan University / Andrew D. Asher and Lynda M. Duke --
Supporting the academic success of Hispanic students / David Green --
First-generation college students : a sketch of their research process / Firouzeh Logan and Elizabeth Pickard --
Seeing ourselves as others see us : library spaces through student eyes / Jane Treadwell, Amanda Binder, and Natalie Tagge --
Transformative changes in thinking, services, and programs / Lynda M. Duke --
Conclusions and future research / Andrew D. Asher and Lynda M. Duke --
ERIAL interview guide questions.
|Responsibility:||edited by Lynda M. Duke and Andrew D. Asher.|
How do college students really conduct research for classroom assignments? In 2008, five large Illinois universities were awarded a Library Services and Technology Act Grant to try to answer that question. The resulting ongoing study has already yielded some eye-opening results. The findings suggest changes ranging from simple adjustments in service and resources to modifying the physical layout of the library. In this book the editors, both anthropological researchers have been involved with the project since its beginning. This book: Summarizes the study's history, including its goals, parameters, and methodology; Offers a comprehensive discussion of the research findings, touching on issues such as website design, library instruction for faculty, and meeting the needs of commuter and minority students; Details a number of service reforms which have already been implemented at the participating institutions. This book deepens our understanding of how academic libraries can better serve students' needs, and also serves as a model for other researchers interested in a user-centered approach to evaluating library services.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Ethnographic Research in Illinois Academic Libraries Project.
- Academic libraries -- Illinois -- Use studies.
- College students -- Illinois -- Attitudes.
- Academic libraries -- Relations with faculty and curriculum -- Illinois.
- Academic libraries -- Services to minorities -- Illinois.
- Research -- Methodology -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- Illinois.
- Information behavior -- Illinois -- Case studies.
- Libraries and colleges -- Illinois -- Case studies.
- Libraries and students -- Illinois -- Case studies.
- Libraries and teachers -- Illinois -- Case studies.
- Vetenskapliga bibliotek.
- Academic libraries.
- Academic libraries -- Relations with faculty and curriculum.
- Academic libraries -- Services to minorities.
- College students -- Attitudes.
- Information behavior.
- Libraries and colleges.
- Libraries and students.
- Libraries and teachers.
- Research -- Methodology -- Study and teaching (Higher)
User lists with this item (14)
- Professional Development(28 items)
by jamiedcox updated 2016-05-09
- UCT New Books:COL:060416(104 items)
by UCTLibrariesCataloguing updated 2016-04-06
- Professional Collection(129 items)
by mcoxford updated 2015-07-15
- English Final Project(4 items)
by samanas1 updated 2014-11-24
- Library Use Studies 2012-2014(22 items)
by virtualkearney updated 2014-06-18