Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Communism in Hollywood.
Lanham : Scarecrow Press, 2009
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||1 online resource (vi, 369 pages)|
|Contents:||pt. I. Before the Congressional hearings: the shaping of a culture of ideology, art, and conflict. Emblems of righteous ideology : the "trials" of Albert Maltz and Robert Rossen --
The moral equation redefined : testimony and silence, decency and betrayal --
The birth of the Hollywood party : the establishment of comintern control --
The Hollywood party in peace and war : idealism, discipline, and reality --
A climate of hostilities and betrayals : writers wars, street battles, and broken alliances --
Robert Rossen : a life in the party and in the movies --
The consequences of ideology : the emblematic battle of Body and soul --
pt. II. The hearings begin: party discipline and the realities of the Soviet world. The first hearings, 1947 : the strategies, the combat, and the consequences --
Testimony and silence : just a democratic political association and the secret world of communism --
The lie deep within the silence : the CPUSA and obedience to the destructive policies of the Soviet Union --
Testimony and silence : Jews, free speech, and the degrees of betrayal --
pt. III. The time of the blacklist-and the times since. The time of turmoil, 1947 to 1951 : Hollywood besieged, crusades continue--Wallace, peace, and Korea --
The time of trials : the Smith Act, the Rosenbergs, and Alger Hiss --
Robert Rossen : testing of a moral life in Hollywood and in films --
The time of turmoil, 1951 and after : the hearings resume, the real blacklist begins --
What is behaving decently? Those who testified and named names --
What is behaving decently? Those who did not testify, attacked, and remained silent --
Hearings and filmmaking : the denial of value and the record on film --
Testifying and filmmaking : attacks on individuals and the record on film --
The moral crusade in its broader context : the myth of total McCarthyism.
The Hollywood blacklist continues to be a fascinating topic for scholars, and this book is likely to generate heated debate among those familiar with the period. The book reminds one that the truth
- Motion picture industry -- Political aspects -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Communism and motion pictures -- United States.
- Blacklisting of entertainers -- United States -- History.
- Blacklisting of authors -- United States -- History.
- Screenwriters -- Political activity -- United States.
- Motion picture producers and directors -- Political activity -- United States.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Un-American Activities.
- Communism -- United States -- History.
- United States.
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS -- Industries -- Media & Communications.
- TECHNOLOGY & ENGINEERING -- Telecommunications.
- USA / Committee on Un-American Activities.