Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Criticism, interpretation, etc
|Named Person:||Elizabeth Stuart Phelps; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps; Elizabeth Stuart Phelps|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Ronna Coffey Privett
|ISBN:||088946166X 9780889461666 0773466649 9780773466647|
|Description:||xiv, 291 p : ill.|
|Contents:||Introduction - the literary life of Elizabeth Stuart Phelps; the awakening to intellectual and spiritual life - Phelps and philosophy; labour reform and class issues - "the fingers of the world"; crusading for temperance and women's rights - "he's always kind when he's sober"; women in the public sphere - breaking down the walls; the "true woman" and man - confessions of an American wife; concealing herself behind her autobiography, revealing herself in her fiction - some conclusions.|
|Series Title:||Studies in American literature, 61|
|Responsibility:||Ronna Coffey Privett.|
- Phelps, Elizabeth Stuart, -- 1844-1911 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Phelps, Elizabeth Stuart.
- Phelps, Elizabeth Stuart -- Criticism and interpretation, -- 1844-1911.
- Women and literature -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Women and literature -- History -- United States -- 19th century.
- Phelps, Elizabeth Stuart -- Criticism and interpretation
- Women and literature -- History -- 19th century -- United States
- Women and literature -- United States -- History -- 19th century
- Phelps, Elizabeth Stuart, -- 1844-1911.
- Women and literature.
- United States.