도서관에서 사본 찾기
해당항목을 보유하고 있는 도서관을 찾는 중
|명시된 사람:||Abraham Lincoln; Abraham Lincoln|
|자료 유형:||전기, 인터넷 자료|
|문서 형식:||책, 인터넷 자원|
|모든 저자 / 참여자:||
Jennifer L Weber
|ISBN:||9780195306682 0195306686 9780195341249 0195341244|
|설명:||xv, 286 p. : ill., ports. ; 24 cm.|
|내용:||In the shadows --
The gathering storm --
When will this cruel war be over? --
The battle behind the lines --
The summer of Lincoln's discontent --
The rise and fall of the Copperheads --
"Faction in Civil War is unmitigated treason" --
|책임:||Jennifer L. Weber.|
|더 많은 정보:|
"Now, Jennifer L. Weber offers the first full-length portrait of this powerful faction to appear in almost half a century. Weber reveals how the Copperheads came perilously close to defeating Lincoln and ending the war in the South's favor. Indeed, by the summer of 1864, they had grown so strong that Lincoln himself thought his defeat was "exceedingly likely." Passionate defenders of civil liberties and states' rights - and often virulent racists - the Copperheads deplored Lincoln's suspension of habeas corpus, his liberal interpretation of the Constitution, and, most vehemently, his moves toward emancipation.
Weber reveals how the battle over these issues grew so heated, particularly in the Midwest, that Northerners feared their neighbors would destroy their livestock, burn their homes, even kill them. Indeed, some Copperheads went so far as to conspire with Confederate forces and plan armed insurrections, including an attempt to launch an uprising during the Democratic convention in Chicago. Finally, Weber illuminates the role of Union soldiers, who, furious at Copperhead attacks on the war effort, moved firmly behind Lincoln. The soldiers' support for the embattled president kept him alive politically in his darkest times, and their victories on the battlefield secured his reelection.".
"Disgraced after the war, the Copperheads melted into the shadows of history. Here, Jennifer L. Weber illuminates their story."--BOOK JACKET.
"An excellent starting point for specialists and nonspecialists alike who want to understand the very real challenges to the Lincoln administration."--Sean Nalty, Virginia Quarterly Review"Readers
- Copperhead movement.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Protest movements.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1861-1865.
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865 -- Adversaries.
- Democratic Party (U.S.) -- History -- 19th century.
- Dissenters -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865 -- Adversaires.
- Democratic Party (États-Unis) -- Histoire -- 19e siècle.
- Dissidents -- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 19e siècle.
- États-Unis -- Histoire -- 1861-1865 (Guerre de Sécession) -- Contestation.
- États-Unis -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1861-1865.
- Amerikaanse burgeroorlog.
- Politieke oppositie.
- Politieke conflicten.
- Democratic Party.
- Noordelijke Staten.
- Verenigde Staten.