Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Records and correspondence
|Named Person:||Sarah Fisher Corbit; Mary Cowgill Corbit; William Brinton Corbit; Thomas Corbit; Corbett family.; Corbett family.; Mary Cowgill Corbit; Sarah Fisher Corbit; Thomas Corbit; William Brinton Corbit|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Corbit family.; William Corbit; Pennell Corbit; William Fisher Corbit; Daniel Corbit; James Corbit; Daniel W Corbit; Mary Clark Higgins Corbit; Higgins family.; Clark family.
|Language Note:||In English.|
|Description:||2.5 linear ft.|
Includes personal and business papers (1770-1818) of William Corbit (1746-1818), farmer and tanner, who lived in Philadelphia between 1794-1802; correspondence (1779-1799, 1778-1845) of his third and fourth wives Sarah Fisher Corbit and Mary Cowgill Corbit; business papers (1805-1826) of his son Pennell Corbit, also a tanner who took over his father's business while William lived in Philadelphia; personal and business papers, poetry, and essays (1809-1824) of another son William Fisher Corbit, owner and manager of store in Odessa inherited from his father; and personal and business papers (1813-1877) of Daniel Corbit, tanner and farmer, who became leader of the family after the death of his half-brother Pennell.
Also includes personal correspondence (1819-1820) of Thomas Corbit who served as apprentice in a mercantile firm in Philadelphia before his death at age 18; personal and business papers (1827-1846) of James Corbit, son of William F. Corbit, who became a doctor in Ohio; personal correspondence (1861-1865) of William Brinton Corbit, physician who served during the Civil War, established a practice in Philadelphia, and after his marriage in 1876 moved to Washington, D.C., where he worked in the medical department of the U.S. Army; personal and business papers (1856-1923) of Daniel W. Corbit, farmer and banker, in Odessa; personal papers, diary of a trip to Europe, and phrenological analysis (1865-1906) of Mary Clark (Higgins) Corbit, wife of Daniel W. Corbit; Corbit family property deeds (1760-1913); land and legal documents of the Clark and Higgins families; papers from other family members; and Kent County, Del., election returns (1822).
- Corbit, Sarah Fisher, -- 1758-1789 -- Correspondence.
- Corbit, Mary Cowgill, -- 1761-1845 -- Correspondence.
- Corbit, William Brinton, -- 1840-1882 -- Correspondence.
- Corbit, Thomas, -- 1803-1821 -- Correspondence.
- Corbett family.
- Agriculture -- Delaware -- Odessa.
- Tanneries -- Delaware -- Odessa.
- Real property -- Delaware -- Odessa.
- Banks and banking -- Delaware -- Odessa.
- General stores -- Delaware -- Odessa.
- Voyages and travels.
- Quakers -- Delaware -- Odessa.
- Elections -- Delaware -- Kent County.
- Women -- Delaware -- Odessa.
- Medicine -- Practice -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Social life and customs.
- Odessa (Del.) -- Social life and customs.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care.
- Corbit, Mary Cowgill, -- 1761-1845.
- Corbit, Sarah Fisher, -- 1758-1789.
- Corbit, Thomas, -- 1803-1821.
- Corbit, William Brinton, -- 1840-1882.
- Banks and banking.
- General stores.
- Manners and customs.
- Medical care.
- Medicine -- Practice.
- Real property.
- Delaware -- Kent County.
- Delaware -- Odessa.
- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
- United States.