Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||S W Burt; Thomas G Hillhouse; Reuben E Fenton; Edwin D Morgan; George W Morgan; Lockwood Doty; Issac VanDerPool; G S Batcheller; John Meredith Read|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||New York (State). Adjutant General's Office.|
|Description:||118 cu. ft.|
The bulk of the series represents an enormous increase in activity from 1861-1866. Files for that period typically consist of correspondence, memoranda, telegrams, certifications, newspaper clippings, petitions, special and general orders, and letters of transmittal. Most of the records were generated by state military personnel both in state and from the field, and mirror the contents of the series overall. Internal evidence suggests that a small portion of the records was added to the series after the Civil War from the files of Silas W. Burt, who was Secretary of the State Auditing Board, and also served in several military and civil service posts.
Subjects of historical interest include the New York draft riots and other disturbances; payment of bounties; records of courts martial; regimental strength and muster rolls, with demographic detail; reports of unit activitity, including regimental histories, promotions, and transfers; and private correspondence between officers, some of a political nature.
Correspondents during the Civil War period include Governor Reuben Fenton; Silas W. Burt, Secretary of the State Auditing Board and later Assistant Inspector General of New York City; Thomas Hillhouse, Adjutant General (1862-1863); Lockwood Doty, Chief of the Bureau of Military Records; G.S. Batcheller, Inspector General; William Irvine, Adjutant General (1863-1866); Issac VanDerPool, Commissary of Military Stores; James Meredith Read, Adjutant General (1861-1862); and John Neville, Superintendent of the New York State Soldiers' Depot.
- Burt, S. W. -- (Silas Wright), -- 1830-1912.
- Hillhouse, Thomas G. -- (Thomas Griswold), -- 1848-1910.
- Fenton, Reuben E. -- (Reuben Eaton), -- 1819-1885.
- Morgan, Edwin D. -- (Edwin Denison), -- 1811-1883.
- Morgan, George W.
- Doty, Lockwood.
- VanDerPool, Issac.
- Batcheller, G. S.
- Read, John Meredith, -- 1837-1896.
- New York (State). -- Division of Military and Naval Affairs.
- New York (State). -- Military Department.
- New York (State). -- Auditing Board.
- New York (State). -- Military Board.
- New York (State). -- Inspector General's Office.
- New York (State). -- Governor (1865-1868 : Fenton)
- New York (State). -- Governor (1852-1862 : Morgan)
- New York Military Agency.
- New York State Soldiers' Depot.
- Armed Forces.
- Military supplies.
- New York (State)
- New York (State) -- Armed Forces.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- New York (State) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.