Encontrar uma cópia na biblioteca
Encontrando bibliotecas que possuem este item...
|Pessoa Denominada:||Shelby Foote; Walker Percy; Shelby Foote; Walker Percy; Shelby Foote; Walker Percy; Shelby Foote; Walker Percy|
|Tipo de Material:||Biografia|
|Tipo de Documento:||Livro|
|Todos os Autores / Contribuintes:||
Shelby Foote; Walker Percy; Jay Tolson
"A DoubleTake book."
|Descrição:||310 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.|
|Conteúdos:||Master to apprentice --
Adversities and new directions --
The "third half" of life --
Correspondence of Shelby Foote and Walker Percy
|Responsabilidade:||edited by Jay Tolson.|
the South. Described variously as a Catholic novelist and philosophical writer, he was above all a gifted comic moralist, a writer of wit, and a keen observer of manners and mores. Shelby Foote began his career as a novelist, producing in short order five works of fiction that were greeted by favorable reviews and modest sales. Foote's reputation rests far less upon his fiction, however, than upon a massive three-volume narrative history of the Civil War that he started,
almost on a lark, in the early 1950s and completed in 1974. In more recent years, Foote gained an even larger following as a result of his role as a commentator in Ken Burns's documentary The Civil War. The correspondence between Percy and Foote traces their lives from the beginning of their respective careers, when they were grappling most openly with their ambitions, artistic doubts, and assorted personal problems. Although they discuss such serious matters as the.
death of Foote's mother and Percy's battle with cancer, their letters are full of sly humor, good-natured ribbing, and a large dose of self-mockery.
- Foote, Shelby -- Correspondence.
- Percy, Walker, -- 1916-1990 -- Correspondence.
- Novelists, American -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
- Historians -- United States -- Correspondence.
- Southern States -- Intellectual life -- 1865-
- Southern States -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.
- Foote, Shelby -- (1916-2005) -- Correspondance.
- Percy, Walker -- (1916-1990) -- Correspondance.
- Romanciers américains -- États-Unis (sud) -- 20e siècle -- correspondances.
- États-Unis (sud) -- Vie intellectuelle -- 20e siècle.
- Foote, Shelby.
- Percy, Walker.