Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Maps Early works to 1800
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Map, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
John Ross; Robert Sayer
|Notes:||Map of the Mississippi River Valley from the Gulf of Mexico to Fort Chartres, Illinois. Covers the Mississippi Valley from the Delta of the Mississippi where it joins the Gulf of Mexico to Fort Chartres.
The first official English survey of the Lower Mississippi, and one of the most historically significant American maps, delineating the British gains from France in the French and Indian War and later establishing the future western boundary of the new United States.
The map includes detail of the lands to the immediate east of the Mississippi including numerous tributary rivers: the Pearl River, the Yasous River, the Chickasaw River, and the Ohio River. The locations of tribal lands and villages are noted, as well as alliances, roads to reach the villages, and the number of soldiers for several villages. Some tribes delineated in the map include the Arkansas, Chocktaw, Chicasaw, Yazoo, Wiapes, and Caskaskias.
Second issue. The first issue appeared in 1772. This 1775 issue has many changes in the area around New Orleans including the addition of forts St. Leon and St. Mary. Shows Baton Rouge and Lake Pontchartrain. Uncolored state.
Scale of "Sea Leagues, 20 to a Degree"; and "British Miles, 69 1/2 to a Degree" below the imprint.
Relief shown pictorially and by hachures. Depths shown by soundings.
Prime meridian: New Orleans.
From Thomas Jeffery's The American atlas. 1775. Also published in Faden's North America Atlas, 1777.
|Description:||1 map on 2 sheets : hand-colored ; 113 x 35 cm|
|Cartographic Mathematical Data:||Scale approximately 1:870,000; (W 92Â°--W 89Â°/N 38Â°11'--N 29Â°15')|
|Other Titles:||Course of the river Mississippi from the Balise to Fort Chartres|
|Responsibility:||By Lieut. Ross of the 34th Regiment: Improved from the surveys of the river made by the French.|