|提及的人：||Julia Child; Paul Child; Julia Child; Paul Child; Joseph McCarthy; Julia Child; Paul Child; Julia Child; Paul Child; Joseph McCarthy; Julia Child; Paul Child; Joseph McCarthy|
|ISBN:||9781439163528 1439163529 9781439168509 1439168504 9781442341913 1442341912|
|描述：||395 pages, 8 pages plates : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|内容：||Special inquiry --
Late start --
A fine sort --
Instant fame --
The great white queen of Bali --
Chickens coming home to roost --
Whispers in the willow trees --
Incurable romantics --
Open season --
The nightmare --
The taste of ashes.
This volume recounts Julia and Paul Child's experiences as members of the U.S. Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in Asia during World War II and the tumultuous years when they were caught up in the McCarthy Red spy hunt in the 1950s. This work is a portrait of a group of idealistic men and women who were recruited by the citizen spy service, slapped into uniform, and dispatched to wage political warfare in remote outposts such as Ceylon, India, and China. Before becoming known worldwide as a popular chef, author, and television personality, Julia joined the OSS after finding that she was too tall to enlist in the U.S. Women's Army Corps or in the U.S. Navy. Julia reveled in the glamor and intrigue of her overseas assignments and life altering romance with the much older and more sophisticated, future-husband, Paul Child. Weighing in heavily in this story is a woman named Jane Foster. Foster allegedly engaged, with her husband, George Zlatovski, in covert activities on behalf of the Soviet Union while employed in sensitive U.S. Government wartime agencies during World War II. Jane Foster was one the Child's best friends during the war (Paul was infatuated with Jane before falling for Julia), and the couple stood behind their friends throughout their accusations of spying for the USSR.
- Child, Julia.
- Child, Paul, -- 1902-1994.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Secret service -- United States.
- United States. -- Office of Strategic Services -- Biography.
- Intelligence officers -- United States -- Biography.
- Child, Julia -- Homes and haunts -- Europe.
- Child, Paul, -- 1902-1994 -- Homes and haunts -- Europe.
- McCarthy, Joseph, -- 1908-1957.
- Anti-communist movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- United States -- Politics and government -- 1945-1953.
- Spies -- United States -- Biography.
- Child, Julia -- Homes -- Europe.
- Child, Paul, -- 1902-1994 -- Homes -- Europe.
- Anticommunist movements -- United States -- History.
- United States -- Politics and government.
- United States. -- Office of Strategic Services.
- Anti-communist movements.
- Intelligence officers.
- Politics and government
- Secret service.
- United States.