Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Crown and Parliament in Tudor-Stuart England.
New York : Putnam, ©1959
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Paul L Hughes; Robert F Fries; Great Britain.
|Description:||xvi, 359 pages ; 26 cm|
|Contents:||1. Documents of the reign of Henry VII, England, 1485-1509 : Sir John Fortescue, the governance of England, c. 1470 ; Act of succession, 1485 ; Star chamber act, 1487 ; The bail act, 1487 ; Act for controlling the justices of the peace, 1489 ; Poynings' law, 1494 ; Statue of treason, 1495 ; Beggars act, 1495 ; Act for the feudal aid, 1504 ; Statute of liveries, 1504 --
2. Documents of the reign of Henry VIII, England, 1509-1549 : Edmund Dudley, the tree of the commonwealth, c. 1509 ; Tunnage and poundage act, 1510 ; Poll tax act, 1512 ; The star chamber act, 1529 ; Act for the pardon of the clergy of Canterbury, 1531 ; Beggars act, 1531 ; Act in conditional restraint of annates, 1532 ; The submission of the clergy, 1532 ; Act in restraint of appeals to Rome, 1533 ; First succession act, 1534 ; Treasons act, 1534 ; Act in absolute restraint of annates, 1534 ; Act for the submission of the clergy, 1534 ; Act annexing first fruits and tenths to the crown, 1534 ; Act of supremacy, 1534 ; Dispensations act, 1534 ; Act for the establishing of the court of augmentations, 1536 ; Second succession act, 1536 ; Beggars act, 1536 ; Act against papal authority, 1536 ; Act for the dissolution of the lesser monasteries, 1536 ; Statute of uses, 1536 ; Act for the court of admiralty, 1536 ; Statute of proclamations, 1539 ; Act dissolving the greater monasteries, 1539 ; Statute of the six articles, 1539 ; Act dissolving the marriage with Anne of Cleves, 1540 ; Act of attainder of Queen Katherine Howard, 1542 ; Third succession act, 1543 --
3. Documents of the reign of Edward VI, England, 1547-1553 : First treasons act, 1547 ; Act for the dissolution of the Chantries, 1547 ; Act for a subsidy of tunnage and poundage, 1547 ; Act for punishing vagabonds, 1547 ; First act of uniformity, 1549 ; Act concerning the improvement of commons and waste grounds, 1550 ; Second act of uniformity, 1552 ; Second treasons act of Edward VI, 1552 --
4. Documents of the reign of Mary, England, 1553-1558 : First treasons act, 1553 ; First statute of repeal, 1553 ; Act reviving the heresy laws, 1554 ; Act concerning the regal power, 1554 ; Second statute of repeal, 1555 ; Second treasons act of Mary, 1555 ; Act against traitorous words, 1555 --
5. Documents of the reign of Elizabeth, England, 1558-1603 : Sir Thomas Smith, De Republica Anglorum, 1589 ; Richard Hooker, the laws of ecclesiastical polity, c. 1597 ; Act of supremacy, 1559 ; Act of uniformity, 1559 ; Statute of apprentices, 1563 ; Second treasons act of Elizabeth, 1571 ; Act against bulls from Rome, 1571 ; Act for the relief of the poor, 1576 ; Act against reconciliation with Rome, 1581 ; Act for the surety of the queen’s person, 1585 ; Act for redress of erroneous judgments, 1585 ; Act against Jesuits and seminary priests, 1585 ; Act against discontinuance of writs, 1589 ; Act against popish recusants, 1593 ; Act against seditious sectaries, 1593 ; Act to relieve the poor, 1598 ; Lay subsidy act, 1601 ; Clerical subsidy act, 1601 --
6. Documents of the reign of James I, England, 1602-1625 : John Calvin, The institutes of the Christian religion, 1559 ; John Knox, The history of the Reformation in Scotland, 1566 ; The millenary petition, 1603 ; Act concerning Jesuits and seminary priests, 1604 ; Act of succession, 1604 ; Act for Commissioners of Union, 1604 ; Act for new executions against members of parliament, 1604 ; The apology and satisfaction of the House of Commons, 1604 ; James I: speech to parliament concerning regal power, 1610 ; Act for the better execution of justice, 1610 ; The oaths act, 1610 ; The house of commons petition of right, 1610 ; James I: Letter to the house of commons, 1621 ; The debate in commons relative to the privileges of that house, 1621 ; The protestation of the house of commons, 1621 ; The proclamation of James I dissolving the parliament, 1622 ; Act voiding monopolies, 1624 ; Subsidy act, 1624 --
7. Documents of the reign of Charles I, England, 1625-1642 : Thomas Hobbes, The leviathan, 1651 ; Charles I: letter to the house of commons concerning subsidies ,1626 ; Charles I: ordinance for the levying of customs, 1626 ; Chief justice Hyde’s decision and reasoning in the case of the five knights, 1627 ; The petition of right, 1628 ; Charles I: speech to common in answer to the petition of right, 1628 ; The “three” (Eliot) resolutions passed by the house of commons in defiance of the king’s dissolution of parliament, 1629 ; Writ of the king for the collection of ship money, 1634 ; King Charles’s appeal to the judge for an opinion regarding the legality of a general ship money levy, and the decision of judges, 1637 ; Charles I: Speech to the two houses of the short parliament, 1640 ; Dissolution of the short parliament, 1640 ; The triennial act, 1641 ; Act to continue the existing parliament, 1641 ; Act for the subsidy of tunnage and poundage, 1641 ; Act abolishing the arbitrary (prerogative) courts, 1641 ; Act abolishing the court of high commission, 1641 ; The house of common’s “grand remonstrance”, 1641 ; Act abolishing the temporal power of the clergy, 1641 ; The militia ordinance, 1642 ; Royal proclamation concerning the militia ordinance, 1642; The declaration of purpose of lords and commons, 1642 ; The nineteen propositions, 1642 --
8. Documents of the civil war and the interregnum, England, 1642-1660 : The solemn league and covenant, 1643 ; Ordinance appointing the committee for cooperation with Scotland, 1644 ; The self-denying ordinance, 1645 ; The heads of the proposals, 1647 ; An agreement of the people, 1649 ; Act abolishing the house of lords, 1649 ; Act abolishing kingship, 1649 ; Act establishing the commonwealth, 1649 ; Act erecting a high court of justice for the trial of Charles I, 1649 ; King Charles’s statement to the trial court, 1649 ; Act for the control of trade and navigation, 1651 ; The instrument of government, 1653 ; Gerard Winstanley, An humble request to the ministers of both universities and to all lawyers in every inns-a-court, 1656 ; The humble petition and advice, 1657 --
9. Documents of the reign of Charles II, England, 1660-1685 : The declaration of Breda, 1660 ; Act legalizing the convention parliament, 1660 ; Parliament’s proclamation of Charles II as king, 1660 ; Act of indemnity and oblivion, 1660 ; Navigation act, 1660 ; Corporation act, 1661 ; Act amending the poor laws, 1662 ; Act of uniformity, 1662 ; Second militia act, 1662 ; The triennial act, 1664 ; The five mile act, 1664 ; Articles of impeachment against the earl of Clarendon, 1667 ; Conventicle act, 1670 ; The articles of the secret treaty of Dover, 1670 ; The first declaration of indulgence, 1672 ; Charles II: speech to parliament concerning the declaration of indulgence of 1672, 1673 ; The first test act, 1673 ; The second test act, 1678 ; The Habeas corpus act, 1679 ; The exclusion bill, 1680 ; Sir Robert Filmer, Patriarcha, or the natural power of kings, 1652 --
10. Documents of the reign of James II, England, 1685-1688 : James II: speech to parliament concerning Catholic army officers, 1685 ; The reply of the house of commons to James’ defense of Catholic army officers, 1685 ; Decision and reasoning of the court in the case of Godden vs. Hales, 1686 ; Declaration of indulgence, 1687 ; The petition of the seven bishops, 1688 ; Decision and reasoning of the judges in the case of the seven bishops, 1688 ; Secret letters of invitation to William and Mary to invade England and depose James II --
11. Documents of the reign of William and Mary, England, 1689-1702 : John Locke, Two treatises of government, 1690 ; The bill of rights, 1689 ; Act legalizing the convention, 1689 ; The mutiny act, 1689 ; Act abolishing hearth tax, 1689 ; The toleration act, 1689 ; Act suspending the Habeas corpus act, 1689 ; The act of recognition of William and Mary, 1690 ; The triennial act, 1694 ; An act for the continued sitting of parliament, 1695 ; The civil list act, 1698 ; The act of settlement, 1701 --
12. Documents of the reign of Anne, England, 1702-1714 : Regency act, 1707 ; An act for the union of England and Scotland, 1707 ; Land tax act for Great Britain, 1707 ; Treasons act, 1708 ; The occasional conformity act, 1711 ; The parliamentary qualifications act, 1711 ; The schism act, 1714.
|Responsibility:||edited and with introductions and commentary by Paul L. Hughes, Robert F. Fries.|
- Constitutional history -- Great Britain -- Sources.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1485-1603.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1603-1714.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Histoire constitutionnelle -- Sources.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1485-1603.
- Grande-Bretagne -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1603-1714.
- Constitutional history.
- Politics and government
- Great Britain.