Cult of alien gods.
Amherst, N.Y. : Prometheus Books, 2005
|提及的人：||H P Lovecraft; H P Lovecraft; H P Lovecraft; Howard P Lovecraft; Howard Phillips Lovecraft; Howard Phillips Lovecraft; Howard Phillips Lovecraft|
|描述：||398 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.|
|内容：||Prelude. The crossroads of fact and fiction --
Precursors of the myth. Science and pseudoscience in Lovecraft's time ; Science fiction and horror before Lovecraft --
Stories of gods from outer space. The prophet of providence ; The spread of the Lovecraft circle ; The UFO craze in fact and fiction --
From fiction to fact. The French connection ; Charioteer of the gods --
Interlude: the view from 1976. The fork in the road --
From Sirius to Orion and beyond. The Sirius mystery ; The Orion mystery ; Dusting for fingerprints ; The league of extraordinary gentlemen --
Human clones from the twelfth planet. Ancestors from Nibiru ; Taking off from Nibiru ; The UFO cults and human cloning --
Conclusion. A modern mythology for troubled times --
Appendix: a continuum of belief.
"Could extraterrestrials have really come to Earth thousands of years ago? Did they bequeath humanity its first civilizations? Were there "ancient astronauts"? For nearly half a century, a flurry of books, movies, and television shows (with more cropping up each year) have said yes, over the objections of scientists, educators, and archaeologists." "In The Cult of Alien Gods, author Jason Colavito reveals for the first time that the theory that aliens visited Earth in the ancient past - and may even have genetically engineered humankind - began not as science fact but as science fiction in the work of master horror writer H.P. Lovecraft (1890-1937). This comprehensive survey examines Lovecraft's body of work as well as his influence on maverick historians, occultists, pop culture, and a modern UFO cult trying to clone a human being an orders from the "aliens."" "From flying saucers to lost civilizations, The Cult of Alien Gods also explores the decline of reason and the dramatic challenges that rocked science over the past century. Lovecraft created the first ancient-astronaut story in 1926, and the saga of how his fictional aliens - his "sheer fun"--Became a powerful threat to mainstream science rivals the ancient-astronaut theory itself for sheer outrageous improbability. Only, this story is true."--Jacket.
- Lovecraft, H. P. -- (Howard Phillips), -- 1890-1937 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Lovecraft, H. P. -- (Howard Phillips), -- 1890-1937 -- Appreciation -- United States.
- Lovecraft, H. P. -- (Howard Phillips), -- 1890-1937 -- Influence.
- Popular culture -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Horror tales, American -- History and criticism.
- Life on other planets in literature.
- Human-alien encounters in literature.
- Cthulhu (Fictitious character)
- Gods in literature.
- Lovecraft, Howard P.
- Lovecraft, Howard Phillips, -- 1890-1937 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Lovecraft, Howard Phillips, -- 1890-1937 -- Appreciation -- United States.
- Lovecraft, Howard Phillips, -- 1890-1937 -- Influence.