Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Harriet Cushman; Eliza Hall Cushman; Nathan Cushman; David Robinson, Jr.|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Cushman family.; Henry Theodore Cushman; Nathan Cushman; Polly Cushman; Helen Cushman
|Language Note:||Materials in English.|
|Notes:||The materials described in this collection are located in the collections of Bennington Museum, Bennington, Vt.|
|Description:||.3 linear ft. (13 file folders)|
Includes seven letters written by Henry T. Cushman during his service with the U.S. Army in the 4th Vermont Volunteers during the Civil War, detailing experiences in the Peninsular Campaign of 1862 and his activities as a regimental quartermaster. The golden wedding anniversary of Henry T. Cushman and Eliza (Hall) Cushman in 1917 is well documented by a record book containing names of those attending, newspaper clippings, and congratulatory telegrams. A scrapbook contains many letters and cards received on the occasion. Other materials include a letter (1859) by Harriet Cushman, older sister of Henry T. Cushman, written from Louisiana where she had gone to teach school; deeds (1808-1814) to Nathan Cushman, great-uncle of Henry T. Cushman, conveying lands in Bennington, Rupert, Charlotte, and Rutland; the will of Polly Cushman, wife of Nathan Cushman; and obituary (1998) of Helen Cushman. An unsigned letter (1847) quite probably a draft, addressed to "Friend Cushman" appears to be in the hand of David Robinson, Jr., and concerns land for the Bennington courthouse.
- Cushman, Harriet -- Correspondence.
- Cushman, Eliza Hall, -- 1848-1922.
- Cushman, Nathan.
- Robinson, David, -- Jr.
- United States. -- Army. -- Vermont Infantry Regiment, 4th (1861-1865)
- Courthouses -- Vermont -- Bennington.
- Real property -- Vermont -- Bennington.
- Real property -- Vermont -- Rupert.
- Real property -- Vermont -- Charlotte.
- Real property -- Vermont -- Rutland.
- Peninsular Campaign, 1862.
- Wedding anniversaries -- Vermont -- North Bennington.
- North Bennington (Vt.) -- Social life and customs.
- Bennington (Vt.) -- Social life and customs.
- Vermont -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.