Aldama, Frederick Luis, 1969-
Dancing with ghosts.
Berkeley : University of California Press, ©2005
|提及的人：||Arturo Islas; Arturo Islas|
|材料类型：||传记, 文献, 政府刊物, 州政府或者省政府刊物, 互联网资源|
Frederick Luis Aldama
|ISBN:||9780520938540 0520938542 1597345695 9781597345699 9780520231887 0520231880 9780520243927 0520243927|
|描述：||1 online resource (xix, 188 pages,  pages of plates) : illustrations, portraits|
|责任：||Frederick Luis Aldama.|
This first critical biography of Arturo Islas (1938-1991) brings to life the complex and overlapping worlds inhabited by the gay Chicano poet, novelist, scholar, and professor. The book considers both the larger questions of Islas's life--his sexuality, racial identification, and political personality--and the events of his everyday existence, from his childhood in the borderlands of El Paso to his adulthood in San Francisco and at Stanford University. Aldama describes Islas's struggle with polio as a child, his near-death experience and ileostomy as a thirty-year-old beginning to explore his queer sexuality in San Francisco in the 1970s, and his fatal struggle with AIDS in the late 1980s. He also explores Islas's coming into the craft of poetry and fiction--his extraordinary struggle to publish his novels, as well as his pivotal role in paving the way for a new generation of Chicano/a scholars and writers. --From publisher description.
- Islas, Arturo, -- 1938-1991.
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Biography.
- English teachers -- United States -- Biography.
- Stanford University -- Faculty -- Biography.
- Mexican Americans -- Intellectual life.
- Mexican American authors -- Biography.
- Mexican Americans in literature.
- Stanford University.
- Authors, American -- 20th century.
- English teachers -- United States.
- Mexican American authors.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY -- Literary.
- LITERARY CRITICISM -- American -- General.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE -- Gender Studies.
- Islas, Arturo, -- 1938-1991
- Authors, American.
- English teachers.
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty.
- United States.
- Litteratur -- Engelsk, amerikansk litteratur.