Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Daniel Boone; Daniel Boone; Daniel Boone|
|Material Type:||Biography, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
John Mack Faragher
|Description:||xviii, 429 p. [16 p. of plates] : maps ; 25 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Curiosity Is Natural: 1734 to 1755 --
2. My Domestic Happiness: 1755 to 1769 --
3. In Quest of the Country of Kentucke: 1769 to 1773 --
4. On the Banks of Kentucke River: 1773 to 1776 --
5. Prisoners to Old Chillicothe: 1776 to 1778 --
6. A Vast Expence of Blood and Treasure: 1778 to 1784 --
7. Unable to Call a Single Acre His Own: 1784 to 1789 --
8. A Wanderer in the World: 1789 to 1811 --
9. God Never Made a Man of My Prisipel to Be Lost: 1811 to 1820 --
10. Left Until I'm Put in the Ground: Myth and Memory.
|Responsibility:||John Mack Faragher.|
He was a devoted family man, but his lengthy hunting and trapping expeditions encouraged the popular depiction of him as a misanthropic man of the woods. And although he served as a frontier leader of the American Revolution, his fellow officers suspected him of loyalty to the crown and treasonous sympathy for the Indians. Absorbed in the details of history and folklore, Faragher's work is a study of both the hero himself and of a uniquely American heromaking process.
. Drawing from popular narrative, the public record, scraps of documentation from Boone's own hand, and a treasure of reminiscence and recollection gathered by nineteenth-century antiquarians, Faragher employs the methods of new social history to produce a portrait that defines the man and the times he helped shape. The author addresses the relationship between native Americans and settlers in the formative period of our history; the contradictions in development and commercialism that frequently left those who struggled the hardest with the fewest rewards; and the manner in which heroes are manufactured, utilized, and treated. Blending themes from a much vitalized western and frontier history with the words and ideas of ordinary people, Faragher has produced a book that will stand as the definitive life of Daniel Boone for the next century.
- Boone, Daniel, -- 1734-1820.
- Pioneers -- Kentucky -- Biography.
- Kentucky -- Biography.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kentucky.
- Boone, Daniel, -- 1734-1829.
- Boone, Daniel
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Kentucky
- Kentucky -- Biography
- Pioneers -- Biography -- Kentucky
- Frontier and pioneer life.