Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||George Lincoln Burr; Wendell Phillips Garrison; George William Harris; Samuel May, Jr.; Charles Dudley Warner; Willard Austin; Horatio S White; Dante Alighieri; Francesco Petrarca; George Lincoln Burr; Dante Alighieri; Wendell Phillips Garrison; George William Harris; Samuel May, Jr.; Francesco Petrarca; Charles Dudley Warner; Willard Austin; Horatio S White|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Includes collections #13-1-348, #13-1-1165, #13-1-1600, #13-1-28, #13-1-m896.|
|Description:||23.2 cubic ft.|
Additional correspondence includes instructions to Willard Austin for filing this collection in preparation for Horatio Stevens White's biography of Fiske; letters to him from acquaintances and close friends in the United States; from Italy where he spent the remainder of his years following his resignation from Cornell in 1883; from Egypt and Iceland; and from many other countries. Letters range in subject from social plans to those relating to his library and book collecting. Also, mss., fragments, notes, biographical correspondence, and post-1904 correspondence relating to the Dante and Petrarch Collections at Cornell; Egyptian manuscripts, printed material relating to the Egyptian alphabet, and photographs of Egypt; family photographs; Fiske genealogy; printed material and miscellany. Miscellaneous items include Fiske's notebooks pertaining to the Arabic language and statements of account for the the Fiske Library Fund and the Fiske Estate Library Fund; a whip, presumed to have been used by Fiske in Iceland in 1874; runic coins (cataloged separately), and an archaic lettered stone. Also, a suitcase owned by Willard Fiske as well as a chair from his library in Florence, Italy.
Also, audiocassettes of lectures on Willard Fiske given by Stephen Weissman, P.M. Mitchell, Elmer H. Antonsen, Louis Pitschmann, and Gould Colman as part of a commemoration of Fiske at Cornell University Library in 1989. These audiocassettes are cataloged individually.
Also included is a bound manuscript index of photographs (photos not included by referred to by number), annotated in French. When first received by the Cornell Library (ca. 1906?), the photographs indexed were originally assigned Harris call numbers 7851 T13-16: T13 covered Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Russia; T14, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany; T15, France; and T16, Italy.
- Burr, George Lincoln, -- 1857-1938.
- Garrison, Wendell Phillips, -- 1840-1907.
- Harris, George William, -- 1849-1917.
- May, Samuel, -- Jr., -- 1810-1899.
- Warner, Charles Dudley, -- 1829-1900.
- Austin, Willard, -- 1860-1934.
- White, Horatio S. -- (Horatio Stevens), -- 1852-1934.
- Dante Alighieri, -- 1265-1321.
- Petrarca, Francesco, -- 1304-1374.
- Cornell University. -- Libraries.
- Cornell University -- Faculty.
- Cornell University. -- Libraries. -- Department of Rare Books.
- Cornell University. -- Libraries. -- Icelandic Collection.
- Book collecting.
- Arabic language.
- Iceland -- Description and travel.
- Egypt -- Description and travel.
- Egypt -- Pictorial works.
- Egypt -- Languages.
- Book collectors.
- Cornell University.
- Language and languages.
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty.