|提及的人：||Charles Darwin; Charles Darwin; Charles Darwin; Charles Darwin|
Adrian J Desmond; James R Moore
|描述：||xxi, 484 p.,  p. of plates : ill., maps ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||The intimate 'Blackamoor' --
Racial numb-skulls --
All nations of one blood --
Living in slave countries --
Common descent : from the father of man to the father of all mammals --
Hybridizing humans --
This odious deadly subject --
Domestic animals and domestic institutions --
Oh for shame Agassiz! --
The contamination of Negro blood --
The secret science drifts from its sacred cause --
Cannibals and the Confederacy in London --
The descent of the races.
|责任：||Adrian Desmond & James Moore.|
There is a mystery surrounding Darwin: How did this quiet, respectable gentleman, a pillar of his parish, come to embrace one of the most radical ideas in the history of human thought? Darwin risked a great deal in publishing his theory of evolution, so something very powerful--a moral fire--must have propelled him. That moral fire, argue authors Desmond and Moore, was a passionate hatred of slavery. They draw on a wealth of fresh manuscripts, correspondence, notebooks, diaries, and even ships' logs to show how Darwin's abolitionism had deep roots in his mother's family and was reinforced by his voyage on the Beagle as well as by events in America. Leading apologists for slavery in Darwin's time argued that blacks and whites were separate species, with whites created superior. Darwin believed that the races belonged to the same human family, and slavery was therefore a sin.--From publisher description.
- Darwin, Charles, -- 1809-1882 -- Ethics.
- Darwin, Charles, -- 1809-1882 -- Political and social views.
- Human evolution -- Philosophy.
- Slavery -- Philosophy.
- Slavery -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- Darwin, Charles, -- 1809-1882.
- Biological Evolution.
- Social Problems.
- Political and social views.
- œaDarwin, Charlesœd1809-1882œxEthics
- œaDarwin, Charlesœd1809-1882œxPolitical and social views
- œaHuman evolutionœxPhilosophy
- œaSlaveryœxMoral and ethical aspects
- August & September 2014 New Books(500 资料)
由 CrownCollegeLibrary 已更新 2014-10-15
- Ect.(39 资料)
由 clgerard88 已更新 2012-11-05
- Things to Check Out(287 资料)
由 windk 已更新 大约两周前
- Natural Science 2012 Shelflist(124 资料)
由 dougmurdock 已更新 2012-05-10
- Natural Sciences 2012 Shelflist(40 资料)
由 dougmurdock 已更新 2012-05-09