|描述：||ix, 224 pages ; 19 cm|
Alice Nutter fights for justice when a group of Pendle women are accused of witchcraft during the reign of England's James I, when being Catholic is considered an act of treason and the Latin High Mass is comparable to the satanic Black Mass. Good Friday, 1612. Pendle Hill, Lancashire. A mysterious gathering of thirteen people is interrupted by local magistrate, Roger Nowell. Is this a witches' Sabbat? Two notorious Lancashire witches are already in Lancaster Castle waiting trial. Why is the beautiful and wealthy Alice Nutter defending them? And why is she among the group of thirteen on Pendle Hill? Elsewhere, a starved, abused child lurks. And a Jesuit priest and former Gunpowder plotter, recently returned from France, is widely rumoured to be heading for Lancashire. But who will offer him sanctuary? And how quickly can he be caught? This is the reign of James I, a Protestant King with an obsession: to rid his realm of twin evils, witchcraft and Catholicism, at any price. -- From book jacket.
- Witchcraft -- England -- Pendle -- History -- 17th century -- Fiction.
- Catholics -- England -- Pendle -- 17th century -- Fiction.
- Witches -- England -- Pendle -- 17th century -- Fiction.
- Hysteria (Social psychology) -- Fiction.
- Lancashire (England) -- History -- 17th century -- Fiction.
- Great Britain -- History -- James I, 1603-1625 -- Fiction.
- Hysteria (Social psychology)
- England -- Lancashire.
- England -- Pendle.
- Great Britain.
- "P" Lamson's Newest Acquisitions in Language and Literature(371 资料)
由 LamsonFitz 已更新 大约两周前
- Things to Check Out(211 资料)
由 wellred2 已更新 大约一个月前
- New Items List 2014.4.18(225 资料)
由 cuclibrarystaff 已更新 2014-04-22
- To-Read(127 资料)
由 cesmi23 已更新 2013-12-22
- Things to Check Out(8 资料)
由 caitlin.askins 已更新 2013-12-13