Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Karen Kruse Thomas
|ISBN:||9780820330167 0820330167 9780820340449 0820340448|
|Description:||xvii, 372 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||Introduction : The devil's bargain of deluxe Jim Crow health reform --
The nation's number one health problem, 1900-1938. The roots of deluxe Jim Crow --
The New Deal in health --
New Deal health in North Carolina --
Deluxe Jim Crow comes of age, 1938-1945. The South and national health reform --
State reform and the racial divide over national health insurance --
Deluxe Jim Crow under Harry S. Truman,1945-1953. Hill-Burton and the deluxe Jim Crow hospital --
Hill-Burton in North Carolina --
Training Black doctors as public policy --
Training Black doctors in North Carolina --
Racial disparities and the Truman health plan --
Conclusion: Deluxe Jim Crow in education versus health care --
Appendix 1. Deluxe Jim Crow organizations --
Appendix 2. Deluxe Jim Crow individuals --
Appendix 3. U.S. and southern populations by race and rural-urban residence, 1900-2000.
|Responsibility:||Karen Kruse Thomas.|
"Thomas provides a detailed history of federal health policy as it was applied to the U.S. South in the mid-twentieth century, a period when the region was described as "the number one health problem in the nation." In particular, she focuses on how reformers' early emphasis on across-the-board regional uplift was eclipsed by efforts to desegregate medical facilities and address racial disparities in the health care system"--
""Deluxe Jim Crow" should appeal to those with an interest in the history of US politics, health policy, medicine, race, and the South."--Elena Conis, "Historian"
- Minorities -- Medical care -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
- Discrimination in medical care -- United States -- 20th century.
- Equality -- Health aspects -- United States -- 20th century.
- African Americans -- Medical care -- United States -- 20th century.
- HISTORY / United States / 20th Century
- POLITICAL SCIENCE / Political Freedom & Security / Civil Rights
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Disease & Health Issues
- Health Policy -- history -- United States.
- African Americans -- history -- United States.
- Civil Rights -- history -- United States.
- Healthcare Disparities -- history -- United States.
- History, 20th Century -- United States.
- Prejudice -- United States.
- Segregation (Soziologie)