Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Named Person:||Benjamin E Mays; Benjamin E Mays; Benjamin E Mays|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Ronald B Neal
|Description:||138 pages ; 24 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction : Third world America and the crisis of American democracy --
The progressive religion and politics of Benjamin Elijah Mays --
America's least wanted --
The brain drain --
|Other Titles:||Democracy in twenty-first century America|
|Responsibility:||Ronald B. Neal.|
Democracy in Twenty-First Century America: Notes on Race, Class, Religion, and Region is an exercise in religious and political philosophy. Fundamentally concerned with the racial and economic crisis of democracy in the United States, this book engages the new face of inequality in America and the new challenges presented to the American democratic project. Neal claims that the racial and economic inequality of today are reflective of two Americas-First World America and Third World America-which were made visible in 2005 through the catastrophic impact of Hurricane Katrina on America's Gulf Coast. Katrina's devastation revealed social conditions that are pervasive throughout America and the South. In particular, it revealed a class of abandoned citizens who are referred to throughout this book as America's Least Wanted. Addressing the population of one southern state, South Carolina, this book contends that the vestiges of America's past are now compounded with unprecedented racial and economic dilemmas. Such a state of affairs calls for reinvigorated religious and political thinking where democracy in concerned. The author turns to the thought of Benjamin Elijah Mays, a religious and political thinker who contributed to the expansion of American democracy during the latter half of the twentieth century and is one resource for engaging the crisis of democracy in twenty-first century America.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Equality -- United States.
- African Americans -- Economic conditions.
- African Americans -- Social conditions -- 1975-
- Race discrimination -- Economic aspects -- United States.
- Race discrimination -- Political aspects -- United States.
- Mays, Benjamin E. -- (Benjamin Elijah), -- 1894-1984.
- United States -- Race relations.
- African Americans -- South Carolina -- Economic conditions.
- African Americans -- South Carolina -- Social conditions -- 1975-
- Race discrimination -- South Carolina.
- Mays, Benjamin E. -- (Benjamin Elijah), -- 1894-1984
- African Americans -- Social conditions.
- Race discrimination.
- Race discrimination -- Economic aspects.
- Race discrimination -- Political aspects.
- Race relations.
- South Carolina.
- United States.
- Rasrelationer -- Förenta staterna -- 2000-talet.