Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Democratic reform and the position of women in transitional economies.
Oxford [England] : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1993
|Material Type:||Conference publication, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Valentine M Moghadam
|Notes:||Papers based on findings of a research conference that took place at WIDER in September, 1991.|
|Credits:||Based on "Gender and Restructuring: Perestroika, the 1989 Revolutions, and Women", a conference held in Sept. 1991 at WIDER.|
|Description:||viii, 366 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||Introduction - gender dynamics of economic and political change - efficiency, equality, and women. Part 1: democratization and women in Central and Eastern Europe women and the politics of transition in Central and Eastern Europe; democratization and women's movements in Central and Eastern Europe - concepts of women's rights; women in East Germany - from state socialism to capitalist welfare state; the transition to democracy in Bulgaria - challenges and risks for women; educational attainment, the status of women, and the private school movement in Poland. Part 2 Perestroika and women in the Soviet Union gender and resructuring - the impact of perestroika on Soviet women; changes in gender discourses and policies in the former Soviet Union; glasnost and the woman question in the mirror of public opinion - attitudes towards women, work and the family; comparative study of women's work satisfaction and work commitment - research findings from Estonia, Moscow and Scandinavia. Part 3 Economic reform and women's employment: women's economic status in the restructuring of Eastern Europe; the changing economic status of women in the period of transition to a market economy system - the case of Czech and Slovak Republics after 1989; economic reform and women.|
|Series Title:||WIDER studies in development economics|
|Responsibility:||edited by Valentine M. Moghadam.|
"Must reading for anyone interested in understanding the male character of the transition process and the importance of gender as a political concept."--American Political Science Review
- Women -- Europe, Eastern -- Congresses.
- Women -- Former Soviet republics -- Congresses.
- Europe, Eastern -- Economic policy -- 1989- -- Congresses.
- Former Soviet republics -- Economic policy -- Congresses.
- Europe, Eastern -- Politics and government -- 1989- -- Congresses.
- Former Soviet republics -- Politics and government -- Congresses.
- Femmes -- Europe de l'Est -- Congrès.
- Femmes -- Ex-URSS -- Congrès.
- Europe de l'Est -- Politique économique -- 1989- -- Congrès.
- Ex-URSS -- Politique économique -- Congrès.
- Europe de l'Est -- Politique et gouvernement -- 1989- -- Congrès.
- Ex-URSS -- Politique et gouvernement -- Congrès.
- Economic policy.
- Politics and government
- Europe, Eastern.
- Soviet Union -- Former Soviet republics.
- Economische hervormingen.
- Sociale situatie.
- Women -- Economic conditions
- Eastern Europe