Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Thurgood Marshall; Thurgood Marshall; Thurgood Marshall; Thurgood Marshall|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780061792281 0061792284 9780061792267 0061792268|
|Awards:||Pulitzer Prize, General Nonfiction, 2013.|
|Description:||x, 434 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
Mink slide --
Sugar Hill --
Get to pushin' --
Nigger in a pit --
Trouble fixin' to start --
A little Bolita --
Wipe this place clean --
A Christmas card --
Don't shoot, white man --
Quite a hose wielder --
Bad egg --
Atom smasher --
In any fight some fall --
This is a rape case --
You have pissed in my whiskey --
It's a funny thing --
No man alive or to be born --
All over the place, like rats --
Private parts --
A genius here before us --
The colored way --
A place in the sun --
In 1949, Florida's orange industry was booming with cheap Jim Crow labor. When a white seventeen-year-old Groveland girl cried rape, vicious Sheriff McCall was fast on the trail of four young blacks who dared to envision a future for themselves. Then the Ku Klux Klan rolled into town, burning homes and chasing hundreds of blacks into the swamps. So began the chain of events that would bring Thurgood Marshall, the man known as "Mr. Civil Rights," into the fray. Associates thought it was suicidal for him to wade into the "Florida Terror" at a time when he was irreplaceable to the burgeoning civil rights movement, but the lawyer would not shrink from the fight--not after the Klan had murdered one of Marshall's NAACP associates and Marshall had endured threats that he would be next. Drawing on a wealth of never-before-published material, including the FBI's unredacted Groveland case files, as well as the NAACP's Legal Defense Fund files, King shines new light on this remarkable civil rights crusader against a heroic backdrop.--From publisher description.
- Groveland Four Trial, Groveland, Fla., 1949-1952.
- Trials (Rape) -- Florida -- Groveland -- History -- 20th century.
- Discrimination in criminal justice administration -- Florida -- Groveland -- History -- 20th century.
- Marshall, Thurgood, -- 1908-1993.
- HISTORY -- United States -- 20th Century.
- Discrimination in criminal justice administration.
- Groveland (Fla.) -- Race relations.
- Rape -- Groveland (Fla.)
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
- Trials (Rape)
- Florida -- Groveland.
User lists with this item (13)
- Carmichael Browsing Collection Favorites(241 items)
by CarmichaelLibrary updated about a month ago
- Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction(52 items)
by dordtlibrary updated 2015-04-27
- Spring 2015 Library Associates Suggestions(54 items)
by MikkLib07 updated 2015-03-16
- New Books for 2014-2015 Part 1(500 items)
by SLUtechnicalservices updated 2015-03-04
- African-American History Month - A Nonfiction Book List(130 items)
by carteretlibraries updated 2015-02-05