|类型/形式：||Criticism, interpretation, etc
Owens, David M., 1954-
Knoxville : University of Tennessee Press, c2006
|提及的人：||Ambrose Bierce; Ambrose Bierce; Ambrose Bierce; Ambrose Bierce|
|材料类型：||政府刊物, 州政府或者省政府刊物, 互联网资源|
David M Owens
|描述：||xii, 166 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.|
|内容：||1. Biography : Bierce's military and literary worlds --
2. Early war stories : 1861, West Virginia --
3. Midwar stories : 1862, Shiloh to the railroad --
4. Midwar stories : 1863, Stone's river to Chickamauga and Missionary ridge --
5. Late war stories : 1864, to Atlanta and Franklin --
Conclusion : The devil's topographer --
Afterword : Ambrose Bierce and the American war story.
|责任：||David M. Owens.|
"Owens considers Bierce's twenty-two war stories chronologically according to the time of the action of the story. Arranging the pieces in such an order and plotting the locations of their settings yield an accurate chart of Bierce's own progress through the war. Thus, The Devil's Topographer uncovers and explores a crucially important autobiographical context in Bierce's Civil War fiction.".
"By bringing under careful scrutiny the biography, history, and geography of Bierce's settings, a geography never wholly fictional but seldom entirely factual, the book analyzes the variety of techniques that Bierce employs to create the verisimilitude and reader complicity that are characteristic of his best work. Owens breaks new ground by demonstrating the importance of considering the "testimony of landscape," or the input of the physical world.".
"The Devil's Topographer explores the wider implications of Bierce's contribution to war short fiction and the significance of the war story as a subgenre in American literature. This volume is a significant contribution to the body of literary commentary on Ambrose Bierce and to the study of the development of the American short story."--BOOK JACKET.
- Bierce, Ambrose, -- 1842-1914? -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Bierce, Ambrose, -- 1842-1914? -- Knowledge -- History, Military.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Literature and the war.
- War stories, American -- History and criticism.
- Bierce, Ambrose.
- Krieg (Motiv)
- Sezessionskrieg (1861-1865)
- Bierce, Ambrose, -- 1842-1914?
- War and literature.
- War stories, American.
- United States.