|提及的人：||H Rider Haggard; H Rider Haggard; H Rider Haggard|
H Rider Haggard; Stephen Coan
|描述：||xiii, 345 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm|
|内容：||1. From youth to age 44 --
2. This land of troubles 51 --
3. A sad story in truth 92 --
4. Chief from of old! Father! 105 --
5. I felt like one returned from the dead 127 --
6. Is it a white man's land? 141 --
7. Four hundred miles through Zululand 175 --
8. A Zulu of high blood 227 --
9. Running along the coast 246 --
10. It is done 263.
|责任：||by H. Rider Haggard ; edited, with an introduction and notes by Stephen Coan.|
"In 1914, H. Rider Haggard - adventure novelist, diplomat, farmer, lawyer, and, above all, renowned author of such classic and influential bestsellers as King Solomon's Mines and She - returned to South Africa, the country that had fired his literary imagination, for the first time in a quarter century." "Haggard, whose work is today considered a prototype of colonial literature, barely recognized the Africa of his youth. The discovery of gold, the destruction of the Zulu kingdom, and the aftermath of the Anglo-Boer war had all radically transformed the political, cultural, and often physical landscape." "No longer the diehard imperialist of his youth, when conquest and colonization were the order of the day, Haggard toured southern Africa extensively during this trip, acquiring an impression of black politics and even meeting the first president of the African National Congress, John Dube. This is the chronicle, in Haggard's own hand, of that journey."--Jacket.
- Haggard, H. Rider -- (Henry Rider), -- 1856-1925 -- Travel -- Africa.
- Haggard, H. Rider -- (Henry Rider), -- 1856-1925 -- Diaries.
- Novelists, English -- 19th century -- Diaries.
- British -- Africa -- History -- 19th century.
- Africa -- Description and travel.
- Haggard, H. Rider -- (Henry Rider), -- 1856-1925
- Novelists, English.