|ISBN:||9781451661774 1451661770 9781451661781 1451661789 9781451661804 1451661800|
|描述：||325 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
When Reyna Grande's father leaves his wife and three children behind in a village in Mexico to make the dangerous trek across the border to the United States, he promises he will soon return from "El Otro Lado" (The Other Side) with enough money to build them a dream house where they can all live together. His promises become harder to believe as months turn into years. When he summons his wife to join him, Reyna and her siblings are deposited in the already overburdened household of their stern, unsmiling grandmother. The three siblings are forced to look out for themselves; in childish games they find a way to forget the pain of abandonment and learn to solve very adult problems. When their mother at last returns, the reunion sets the stage for a dramatic new chapter in Reyna's young life: her own journey to "El Otro Lado" to live with the man who has haunted her imagination for years, her long-absent father. -- Jacket, p. .
- Grande, Reyna -- Childhood and youth.
- Mexican Americans -- Biography.
- Immigrants -- United States -- Biography.
- Abused children -- United States -- Biography.
- Mexico -- Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects.
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- Social aspects.
- Mexican Americans -- California -- Los Angeles -- Biography.
- Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Biography.
- Mexican American women authors -- Biography.